This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I fix this

From previous posts I went to self-rep and I already screwed up. I haven't had an Intake yet. I haven't been set down for the motion for directions to change the spousal support; but, I responded back and paid the amount but now what the hell do I do that I screwed up.

There were a bunch of forms I didn't fill out because I didn't know I had to. I tried to talk to the Court Officer but he was busy and had a computer glitch. I am trying to put in my own motion to vary not just to the level he wants.

Blink: Any suggestions and be nice.

You either need to get a whole lot of knowledge of the processes and required forms (and fast) or get a lawyer. If you think you can't afford a lawyer, you'll find that mistakes due to ignorance are far more costly.

Comment

Agree - get a lawyer but you should also educate yourself enough so that you know what it is that your lawyer is doing on your behalf. There are plenty of self-help websites for Ontario. All you have to do is type in a question and you will be redirected to the appropriate site. Type in "how to file a motion to change in family court" or something like that and read, read read.

Comment

Google is your best friend!

Comment

I just typed in "how to file a notice of motion in Nova Scotia family court" and it was full of information.

Do your homework or pay money for a lawyer.

Comment

This will be the hardest job of your life.
            You seem to have the courage to make a mistake. That's good. But now you need to educate yourself. Coming here was good!

Comment

I got home from work today and there was a letter from the Court and they gave me my money back. Told me I didn't have to pay and there was the instructions on how to file back with all the documentation I need. I spent three hours filling it out and my girlfriend is a Commissioner of Oaths and is going to witness it for me.

I called three lawyers too. One said they could not represent me because it would be a conflict. I think my ex is going to switch lawyers again (I don't give a rat's butt) but if he does, this will be the third lawyer. Guess he will do this to get an adjournment.

I really appreciate everyone's help. It was invaluable. Thanks.

Comment

Good to hear you're getting things accomplished. Don't "settle" for a shitty lawyer. Keep looking until you get one that you feel confident about.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X