This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long separation

would anyone know if after starting divorce proceedings 40 years ago in 1969 with a stamped Petition for Divorce dated Sept 13, 1969 is there any length of time that this divorce might be just granted without all the rigamoroll. it has been 40 years. should I contact a lawyer about this. I called the archives in ont. and nothing for 69 or 70. thanks again

There is no need for any lawyer interaction since any request for divorce that is not consented to can be granted after a 1 year waiting period without the other parties consent/signature. Seeing as there has been no contested issues and it has been 40 years you can take what you have and ask that the divorce be finalized and a document issued to you.

See your local court house and they can guide you through the paper work.

Best of luck, this is well over due

Comment

thanks for the answer will try that, what happens if I live in New Brunswick and this petition was in Ontario do I have to go to an Ontario court

Comment

Help

I am getting really confused. I have in front of me a Petition for Divorce dated 1969. It was never signed by the respondent and now 40 years later where do I turn. I don't think he was ever served or if he is evenstill alive. I just need to get this done. I called archives and all that stuff. Do I just go into a court and ask for this divorce to be granted and does it cost any money and do I have to go back to Ontario to do it. any more help would be so appreciated. I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. Maybe he is remarried and a bigamyst or I am entitled to pension money by way of spousal support if he is dead. None of his family knows where he is either. thank you so much for any help

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X