Ex moving again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex moving again

Long story short, ex has moved the kids away from me once with her boyfriend about an hour away before we had an agreement. Court allowed it as its within city limits. I have since moved closer 25 minutes away and have a 2-2-3 parenting schedule.

She separated from boyfriend and is now refusing to tell me where she is going. Kids are telling me she is moving even further 25kms+ away from my residence. I confronted her, she said "as long as I am within the city limits I can move them wherever I want". I do not live in their school zone but is there a way from stopping her from moving them further away?

Our agreement states she needs to give me 90 days notice and my approval to move them or get a court order. I am afraid she will buy the house and go to a judge saying well i bought the house and my hands are tied.

Any suggestions?

Go to court and find an emergency motion to stop her from moving.

Comment

From now on, make sure your confrontations are in writing. Ask for her address in writing, get her refusal in writing. Reiterate in writing that you absolutely do not give her permission to move without notice.

Also, can you move into the school zone? Sell your current house and rent, you'll save so much money from the reduced legal costs that it might be worth it.

I'm not sure if you can do an emergency motion yet, you have no evidence that she is moving beyond rumours from your kids. I do think you go to court, but on the refusal to provide the address. If she provides an address, then you go to court if it is an inappropriate move.

Either way, you do have to act.

Comment

she can't just go against the agreement.

ask her in writing if she is moving. if so, ask for details.

leave it at that. maybe follow up if no answer after a week or so.

if she moves within city limits, you are pretty much pooch. Mobility only triggers at a certain limit. I think even up to 4 hours can be considered within limits of mobility (assuming you are not responsible for school pickups and drop offs- if you don't have shared custody)

another advantage to shared custody, she can't just just get up one day and move with your kids

also, this is why you want a clause in your agreement specifying specifically the distance she can move, I.e. within 20km of each others residence.
        Last edited by tunnelight; 03-07-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X