This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Payment Question

I've been informed by our mediator that I am responsible for a portion of any child care she racks up, as long as it is work or school related. Ignoring for a moment my anger over the fact that after supporting the entire family for 10 years, I know have to essentially pay for her to work, I have a few questions:

1) Is this in fact the case?
    2) Am I allowed to ask for verification that each child care bill I'm sent is indeed work-related, or am I supposed to just take her at her word?
    3) Do I have to pay for both work and school if she decides to do both at the same time?
    4) Should there be some language in our separation agreement that obligates her to make reasonable efforts to restrict these costs, or is this simply implied automatically?
    5) If I am paying half of these costs, what control do I have with regards to the amounts being paid? If they are getting beyond my ability to pay, what recourse do I have?

Child care falls under the Section 7 expenses also referred to as extrodinary expenses..and is paid on a proportional basis.

I don't think you would be responsible to pay for babysitting if she is going out socially.

Comment

Originally posted by About_Time
      1) Is this in fact the case?
      2) Am I allowed to ask for verification that each child care bill I'm sent is indeed work-related, or am I supposed to just take her at her word?
      3) Do I have to pay for both work and school if she decides to do both at the same time?
      4) Should there be some language in our separation agreement that obligates her to make reasonable efforts to restrict these costs, or is this simply implied automatically?
      5) If I am paying half of these costs, what control do I have with regards to the amounts being paid? If they are getting beyond my ability to pay, what recourse do I have?
      1) Yes, you are responsible for your share relative to income.
      Example, you make 50,000 she makes 30,000.
      Child care = 500/month then your share = $300, and her share is $200.
      2) Yes you can ask for and expect receipts for child care, in fact I’d insist on them for tax purposes.
      3) As unfair as it seems, yes. As school is a vehicle for her to potentially earn more, increasing her ability to care for the children financially and thereby reducing your burden for section 7 costs, and eventually your share of the children's educational costs. As that too is proportional to income.
      4) You could request something but I do not think you will be successful given the language of family law and section 7 therein
      5) You should not be paying half, unless you make twice as much as her.
      And as for who is caring for your children you may make a request that the agreement allow you to make a decision on whom cares for your children and thereby allowing your input into what the cost will be.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X