This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more question?

It will take me a few weeks to gather up the papers I need to apply for Legal Aid - can I make a request to the court for interim support? And if so, how do I do that? Is there a form I need to complete?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions. As each day passes my feet are feeling a bit firmer on the ground. This board has been such a blessing to me

Comment

To start the court action, you would have to bring forth an Application with the courts. I do advise that you should go apply for legal aid as soon as possible and then go retain a lawyer to handle the court action and the associated paperwork.

You can find the necessary court forms here

Form 8 is the application

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/e...mily/index.jsp

lv

Comment

I'm just waiting to get a copy of my apartment lease and copy of bill for cable/phone/etc (it's my understanding I need all these as proof of expenses?) Can I file the form 8 on my own or should I wait until I have seen the lawyer? Or do you mean this is the form I would file for interim support?

I was going to bring a copy of my 2005 income tax return and also my T4 for 2006 (I do payroll where I work so I have the luxury of getting it done early..LOL).

I am trying to find out if I am supposed to claim the child support I am getting for me daughter already as part of income?

I wonder if there is a book for Dummies for these situations. Maybe I should write one when this is all over? LOL

Comment

hurt1,

I would wait and secure legal aid and subsequently have the lawyer complete the forms for the court action. The Application (Form 8) is a very important document that will form part of the trial record if the case goes that far.

I believe you would claim all income as an income source (including CTB's and gst child support etc) that you receive in the legal aid application.

If you are unable to secure legal aid, then yes you can represent yourself and this forum is very useful. Legal aid coverage is conditional that you ask for costs in the action.

If you represent yourself, of course ask for an order of costs.

lv

Comment

Thanks (again!!)

Honestly I don't know what I would have done had I not found this forum. The advice you give is SO helpful.

I have found most of my documents needed, I just need to wait for my copy of the apartment lease agreement to come back to me (should be early next week) and then I am off to Legal Aid. I often do Small Claims cases for where I work so at least I know my way around the courtroom (well, a little, anyway..LOL)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X