Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

betty-- what do you mean " have to try for spousal support?" check out the FAQ on this site.... http://www.ottawadivorce.com/spousal-support-menu.htm

and then the govm't guidelines to help Do you have kids? this is the site for without child support

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub...project/5.html

Jenny

Comment

Separated!!

Jenny

I was wondering if there was a certain amount of time before your unable to go for spousel support . Yes i have kids and am getting support for them and working on or trying to any way. I've been to the site and haven't seen anything on a length of time or not .

Comment

I know your claim weakens the longer it is ... How long have you been separated -do you have an agreement yet?

Comment

Separated

Jenny

Been separated 5 years now is that too long and i already have custody of kids so thats not an issue.

Comment

I would suspect that is too long ... Granted I am not a lawyer but it would be hard to show the need for it after 5 years, in my not so humble opinion .

I also don't know the length of the marriage, and other contributing factors. So many variables....

Comment

Separated

Hey Jenny

We were married for 10 years and together almost 14 . Thankyou for all your advice i appreciated it. BettyBoop

Comment

Betty,

Jenny the smart shiny penny is right.. it all depends on the kind of marriage you had. Did you help your husband advance in his career? Did you sacrifice your own career for his? Did you dedicate your time to raising the children? Did you take care of the household duties and chores? There are so many factors involved

There isn't a time limit for you to ask for spousal support. But, in a nut shell, the longer to wait to apply for spousal support, the harder it will be to get it.

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X