Covid and job loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid and job loss

Has anyone else had a conversation with their lawyer as support payers. It seems that with the massive job loss it creates quite a conundrum, especially without courts. I mean if someone's support payment is 1500 a month and they are down to 450 a week..they really can't pay.

Mine basically said she is getting slammed by many payors and will have to sort it out. I'm sure a lawyer is going to be hit as representing some payoes and some recipients.

Hopefully everyone is staying indoors.

Same boat. Support payment of $2065 and now without any income. Trying to talk to my lawyer today, but unsure of what can be done.

Comment

No courts to complain 2.fro will be backed up

I think all lawyers will have to suggest reductions..what happened in 2008..although that was slower decline

Good luck to you 2

Comment

FRO is a disaster already so this will be a tsunami.
        If no salary then no garnishment.
        Since this is a national emergency consider a formal written notice that due to material change in circumstances directly resulting from a national / provincial emergency as declared payments will be deferred or reduced.
        Send what you can, if you have to borrow then borrow.
        Faint hope that a reduction could be made retroactive but that is faint.
        Don't just fail to pay without communicating in a WITHOUT PREJUDICE letter or email.
        Do you need to pay legal fees if you cannot afford to pay support?
        Lawyers out there, how about some pro bono help in a national emergency for the sake of children????

Comment

I've personally been overpaying her by 30 percent (we estimated my business income). But due to documented medical illness caused by her and her mom placing surveillance cameras inside the matrimonial home (nesting agreement) my business suffered massively...that is ongoing and would be dealt with later.

But currently with covid my income dropped by 20 percent ish..so we will have to sort out asap

Comment

Originally posted by Kkc View Post
            No courts to complain 2.fro will be backed up
            Dear ex,

Due to the pandemic, my income has been reduced by 20%. Normally, I would apply to the courts to change the support payments, but that may not be possible for the next few months.

In the interim, I will be reducing my payments to $x. I would generally not reduce payments unilaterally, but these are exceptional times. The new support level will begin on May 1st. This will give you a month to organize your financial affairs appropriately.

Sincerely,

Dr.Awesome.but.on.slightly.Harder.Times

Comment

Janus your hilarious (I'm being serious not sarcastic)

I hope you are staying indoors..if you get sick we all lose from your awesome banter

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                Dear ex,

Due to the pandemic, my income has been reduced by 20%. Normally, I would apply to the courts to change the support payments, but that may not be possible for the next few months.

In the interim, I will be reducing my payments to $x. I would generally not reduce payments unilaterally, but these are exceptional times. The new support level will begin on May 1st. This will give you a month to organize your financial affairs appropriately.

Sincerely,

Dr.Awesome.but.on.slightly.Harder.Times

Accompanied by evidence right? like a redacted copy of a letter or email from your employer?

Comment

Basically I have a few income streams...all but one are gone and it's very easy to calculate

Comment

Just got laid off today as well. My support is not as high as some of these but still a third of what EI will be. But I will not have to pay child care for my one at home, so that will help quite a bit.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X