This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice?

I have been dating a man for over 2 years. We each own our own home, however, I stay with him every weekend (3-4 nights a week) every week consistently. I have contributed to the household, ie: groceries, household purchases etc. I pay for my own expenses for my own household, bills, in addition to the gas and travel expenses to commute to his home. We have taken vacation together, and I pay my own way. I have incurred additional expenses due to doing most of the commuting in this long distance relationship, (ie: extra car maintenance /wear & tear) He has a larger home and makes more money than I do and he has never voluntarily offered to contribute to any of this. I have expressed my opinion that I this is very unfair and feels one way. (he rarely travels to see me at my home – and only if he has a meeting in my area) I have given up every weekend to have a relationship with this man. Now the relationship is going south. What can I do to have some retribution? If we break up, not only will I loose the relationship, I will feel like I am also out of pocket for all that I have contributed over the years. Any advice?

jsw1010,

I suspect you have no legal grounds currently to receive compensation if the relationship does not work out.

lv

Comment

I agree with LV. Although there have been cases where support was awarded to a common law spouse despite the fact that the parties didn't physically live together, IMO this would be impossible in your case since you and your partner haven't yet reached common law status (3 years of continuous cohabitation).

Lindsay

Comment

Thanks. I appreicate it. I'm not surprised of your answers

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X