Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Cleo is on a distinguished road
Default separation agreement examples

Hi,
Want to try to minimize legal costs before I'm bankrupt so attempting to come up with my own separation agreement/offer to settle. My lawyer has been useless so far and it has cost me tons of money. Ex is willing to cooperate and I would like to hammer out the basics of a settlement agreement on my own to save costs, run it by my lawyer and then present it to my ex. I am looking for some examples of separation agreements that would include custody and property division. I have found good pointers on this site but not quite a full agreement that would include both CC and property division.

I was common law for 19 years, 2 children (14 and 15) and we want a shared custody arrangement. We will divide assets and debts in half.

Would appreciate it if some members here would be willing to share copies (remove sensitive info of course) of their agreements. I understand that every situation is different but I'd like to see what worked for others on this site. Many thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

There's a workbook with a CD with documents you can print off at Staples, Indigo, Chapters, etc. You can find most/all of the info on the net but the book saves you a lot of hunting.

Mostly you want correct working and making sure you have dealt will are areas, so the workbook will cover you there. The main thing is if you and the ex agree on stuff, if that's all ok with you both then really you just need the templates and then get a cheap neighbourhood lawyer for each of you to sign it off.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM

fieldgrey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo View Post
Hi,
Want to try to minimize legal costs before I'm bankrupt so attempting to come up with my own separation agreement/offer to settle. My lawyer has been useless so far and it has cost me tons of money. Ex is willing to cooperate and I would like to hammer out the basics of a settlement agreement on my own to save costs, run it by my lawyer and then present it to my ex. I am looking for some examples of separation agreements that would include custody and property division. I have found good pointers on this site but not quite a full agreement that would include both CC and property division.

I was common law for 19 years, 2 children (14 and 15) and we want a shared custody arrangement. We will divide assets and debts in half.

Would appreciate it if some members here would be willing to share copies (remove sensitive info of course) of their agreements. I understand that every situation is different but I'd like to see what worked for others on this site. Many thanks
Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you my separation agreement. We were common law for 17 years, we did not have children, so it only addresses spousal support and division of assets. It was drafted by two very good lawyers.

FG
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 AM

sunset is on a distinguished road
Default Separation agreement

This is my first time on this forum and I am looking for some help as well. My ex and I have been arguing back and forth over how much I should be giving him from the equity of my house which I had purchased before he moved in, plus a few other things from the house like artwork from our trips etc. I want to cut the cost of my lawyer as I have already used up my retainer so I am trying to draw up a very simple separation agreement to sent to my lawyer but have no clue where to start.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
This is my first time on this forum and I am looking for some help as well. My ex and I have been arguing back and forth over how much I should be giving him from the equity of my house which I had purchased before he moved in, plus a few other things from the house like artwork from our trips etc. I want to cut the cost of my lawyer as I have already used up my retainer so I am trying to draw up a very simple separation agreement to sent to my lawyer but have no clue where to start.
Careful...

Unless you had a very short marriage (how long has he lived in the house?), the matrimonial home is fully split. Yes, ridiculous... but that's the law. Might want to play nice...
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Careful...

Unless you had a very short marriage (how long has he lived in the house?), the matrimonial home is fully split. Yes, ridiculous... but that's the law. Might want to play nice...

*IF* you were legally married, and not common law.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

He lived in the house for just under 3 years. All he did while he was here was build a deck with our money. Everything else was here before he moved in and I offered him 9000 which he finally took but now wants me to pay $900 for his lawyer to draw up separation papers
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Were you legally married?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM

keepcalmandcarryon is on a distinguished road

I'd pay the $900 and be done with it.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Yes we were legally married. My house is around 215,000 resale. He wants 9000 from the house plus 900 for his legal fees. Plus our 52" flat screen tv and the hottub which isn't paid off. It has around 2500 paid on it which he has been paying but keeping at my house. Does that sound fair?
Closed Thread

Tags
separation agreement