Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage renewal of joint property

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I’m separated and I jointly own a property with my ex. The mortgage is up for renewal. We don’t have a SA agreement yet. Are these any legal ramifications for renewing a mortgage with an ex so you are not going to have to pay for a higher interest rate? Any clauses that you have to let your banker know.

I’m assuming the property will be divided in the near future.

Despite the lower rate you may not want to do this if the mortgage will soon be broken and a penalty fee applies.

Comment

is one person going to buy the other one out?

what are the terms your bank is offering you? Open or closed mortgage?

I know when i bought my ex out, I went to the bank twice to find out how much of a penalty to pay out the mortgage so I could get one in just my name. In the space of about 4 months the difference was about 1500. We had a closed mortgage that that about 6 months left on the term.

Comment

I was in a similar situation, awaiting final orders and ex refused to renew as I was buying her out. I had to bring a motion to force my ex to renew mortgage as the interest jumped so high. Because we were still a few months away from finalizing, the best option for me was a 5 year variable so payments were low and the penalty was still a lot less than I would've paid.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X