Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

And again, the question is: would you take legal advice and direction from your ex's lawyer? If the ex's lawyer had said you needed to pay XX amount for whatever, would you have just paid it without question or justification?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM

momofonegreatboy is on a distinguished road

No- I would have consulted with my lawyer first of which she would have informed me that special exp. and carrying charges are not to be included in line 150 therefore I would have paid the amount requested without a fight- especially given it's such a minimal amount to dispute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

You just said some key words 'minimal amount to dispute' for 5-6 months you have been denying CS over a minimum amount, thus disputing over a minimum amount. Took you and your lawyer 5 months to figure out you may be looking unreasonable? You should have noticed that when your lawyer advised you to go after $40 a month
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

If the difference in CS is $40/month because you could deduct your legal fees from your guideline income, that's only $480 for a a whole year - not even worth arguing over. And presumably it won't even be relevant next year as the legal expenses are a one-time thing. My suggestion would be to forget about it, accept the guideline CS he is offering and move on.

Many people here have exes who owe them money which we are never going to see - I'm owed about $1 000 in outstanding S7 from two years ago, and that's not even that bad, comparatively. Unless the amount is so large that it will significantly impact your quality of life, it's often better to just save the headache and annoyance of fighting with the ex over minor things.

Bear in mind that your lawyer has a vested interest in continuing the haggling because haggling is what she gets paid for. If you tell her you've changed your mind, you do not want to pursue this particular item, she should drop it. Don't let her convince you that everything is vitally important.

Tags
carrying charges, special expenses