Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House owned before married and sold after

Hello,

We have agreed on most issues and both of our offers to settle are near identical which is nice considering where we came from.

STBX bought a house before marriage, I moved in a year before married, we lived in the house for about 4.5 years, sold it and bought a new house.

The new house has sold and we are splitting it “50/50” but $5k of the split will go to her as her lawyer is saying she owned realty prior to being married. If so I don’t mind paying.

However, our NFP’s equalization payment totals have a discrepancy. On mine she owes me $15k and on hers I owe her $5k.

Her offer to settle has a paragraph requesting I agree to her financial statements equalization.

Settlement conference is in a few days and this is the only issue in disagreement. I am arguing that a SC is overkill for this issue and have advocated coming to an agreement on such a small piece more amicably.

I am leaning towards just agreeing in order to end everything however, I have some concern over the validity of her financial statement as she admittedly says she didn’t disclose date of marriage debt as she was given bad advice (her lawyer said this wasn’t needed and is the one who completed the statement).

Any thoughts? I am happy with everything so far and don’t want to die on this hill even though she makes double what I do and could really use the extra cash if entitled because this entire process as you all know isn’t cheap.

Ex and I just signed our separation agreement. NFP was a wash as we couldn't agree on the numbers we each put forward but we did agree on the final amount we each are entitled to. We each put forward our own version of assets and debts and although we disagree on the amounts we ended up agreeing on the final outcome. So we agreed but not on how we actually got there. This protects me should he take me to court in the future and want money (he waived spousal) then I can articulate easily that we had unequal division and I accepted it but should be given a "credit" for the 100k I didn't take. He could have died on this hill but we chose to agree to disagree to stop paying lawyers and move on with life.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X