X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resp and CS

Hi everyone

Quick question.

Dad here.... Paying monthly child support. My daughter is going to post secondary education next year. I have been the only parent contributing to her resp. It has grown well.

Can I use the resp as child support for her 18 - 22 years?

I will help with other expenses as I want my kid to succeed in life. I was under the impression that I still have to pay CS until the first post secondary degree? Is this still true?

If so.... Can I use the resp as child support for her 18 - 22 years?

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it

HW

The RESP is supposed to be used for school expenses. If she isnt planning to go away (reducing the amount of school costs) then stop putting money in.

You still have to pay cs as well as your share of the school costs.

Comment

It depends how the RESP was handled in your agreement and how schooling is to be paid for. Is it your responsibility to pay for her entire post secondary education? Was it agreed that you contribute to RESP and your ex doesn't have to contribute anything to her education? I set up an RESP for two children AFTER we separated. This is for my contribution to their education that is to be split 50/50 between my ex and I. He chooses to spend money frivolously even tho the children receive money monthly from a civil suit but in trust to him and he keeps it and spends it. I save their child tax benefit and contribute my own money each month. So when the time comes I can withdraw the 50% that I have been saving for 5-10 years for their education and my ex is on his own to come up with the remainder. If he offered to contribute it would benefit him but he hasn't. You can close the RESP at any time and receive the money minus the grant if you want. You would still be on the hook for child support if your agreement states this. My agreement is age 18 for child support and we split post secondary 50/50.

Comment

I thought it was based on income because it's a Section 7 expense. My question is - what if a parent doesn't have the money for their portion of education costs. Will the court expect them to take money out of home equity? Take out a loan or line of credit? It seems strange that married parents don't have to to contribute to education costs but divorced parents do.

Comment

Originally posted by LovetoDance View Post
          I thought it was based on income because it's a Section 7 expense. My question is - what if a parent doesn't have the money for their portion of education costs. Will the court expect them to take money out of home equity? Take out a loan or line of credit? It seems strange that married parents don't have to to contribute to education costs but divorced parents do.

Welcome to family law. You have to pay your share whether you agree or not.

Comment

Originally posted by LovetoDance View Post
            It seems strange that married parents don't have to to contribute to education costs but divorced parents do.
            "Force kids of divorced parents to pay for their own education" is not a very catchy political slogan.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X