RRSP Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRSP Question

Part of my court ordered settlement with my ex is that I receive $X of money from her pension that goes in to my RRSP that I already have in place. My question is does that $X amount get added to my income for the tax year that the transfer occurs?

Example: If I make $10 per year and she is required to transfer $1 from her pension to my RRSP would my income be $11 for the 2015 tax year on line 150?

Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but the transfer from one RRSP to another is a transfer. Not income.

Comment

This will likely depend on the nature of the transaction, and how it's handled.

I think you both need to consult your respective pension company/RRSP company/bank, and clarify with them, as they will know better than anyone on here. There should be some mechanism to handle such a transaction, as a transfer, that minimizes any kind of tax penalty (if applicable).

Comment

I've transferred from one RRSP to another RRSP without tax implications. Because it was a transfer, I didn't even get a tax slip for it, and it wasn't included on my tax return for that year.

I suspect this would hold true for your situation. If not, you can claim it as a contribution to your RRSP (if you have room), and you won't pay tax on it until you withdraw it.

Comment

sounds like a spousal transfer which is not taxed nor would you use it on your tax return...only part would be you note it is from a pension so usually that transfers over as a locked-in asset (LIRA)...

Comment

It should NOT be taxed. I had to transfer RRSPs to my ex and they were not considered income for him.

Comment

Pension (i.e. where you are transferring FROM) is tax-deferred, right?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X