Income assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income assessment

I need some guidance, I had my income assessed by an assessor because my ex would keep arguing that I have much more available and not considering the loan and expenses of the business. He is asking for the details of the assessment before the court date, he does not have an accountant that is checking it, he has a friend with no qualifications whatsoever and who is "advising" him. I do not have the final form, I have a draft. Should I give him the draft?
    Also he is asking me for the following: all my financial statements for your personal and business, the business sheet balance with all entries and payments, mypersonal credit cards statements and chequing statements for the entire last year. He does not have an accountant doing this, just his friend.
    My concern is that he does not know what he is doing m, he hasn't asked for the loan papers, nor for the lease of the space.
    What should I do?

If you were ordered to provide an assessment I would think you have to provide that. More than likely the final version.

As for the statements, he probably looking for money being paid out secretly or money coming in you aren’t reporting.

It doesn’t matter who he has doing it, if you have a forensic accountant (or I would think any legit accountant) putting it together then a judge will accept it.

He can ask for whatever he wants, a judge will then determine what he is entitled to. If I were you I would search on canlii for self employment cases and see what they were obligated to provide and then respond accordingly. If you don’t want to disclose on consent then you will need a judge to decide.

If this is equalization and there is no spousal or cs, you don’t have to provide ongoing, just what was during the marriage.

Comment

Thank you Rocksan. He is asking for spousal and child support.
      For spousal the judge told him he might not be entitled to compensatory he had not sacrificed his career for the sake of the family to help me get my licence, but he might for non-compensatory (which I don't understand because the lifestyle has not changed for him).
      For child support he wants to impute income which he is basing on a statistics from the internet, I am not undereployed and I am working full time. The business is in its infancy and it's against a big loan, plus leasing the space, I am not taking out any money as income, everything goes into expenses to keep the door open.
      So basically I don't have to give him what he is asking for? He is sending me threatening emails that I am refusing to disclose financial information which I know it has to be T1 and T2, notice of assessments.

Comment

You could simply respond that when you receive the assessors report you will provide it. Possibly give him a date you expect it. Then put him on ignore. He can file a motion for disclosure if he wants more than he is entitled to.

Arabian may have an idea of what you need to disclose.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help! The court has not ordered an assessment, I did it to defend myself.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X