Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 10 years old stay at home alone?

I have a question to which I can't find a clear answer. Can a 10 years old child stay at home alone for couple of hours? I used to send my son to my neighbour after school for babysitting until I arrive home two hours later. This year, my son is saying he wants to stay at home after school and he says some of his classmates were already doing so since they were 8. His school is in the corner of our street and my son and his friends have always walked home together (without parents' company) since grade 1. I am nervous about it because a) I have personally not done this before but my son claims him mom used to do that when he was 7 (means he is not scared of being alone) and b) if my ex finds out she is going to make a big deal out of it.

On mental and intellectual level, my son is very smart and resourceful. He knows my office and cell numbers and knows when to call 911 in emergency. He also knows how to make basic sandwiches and get juice/milk from the fridge, and use of microwave etc.

Any advice/feed back will be highly appreciated.

I personally wouldn't. But up to you? Is there someone on the street who can make sure he makes it home and stays home? Can check on him

Comment

There is no clear law stating the specific age that a child must be, before he/she can be at home unsupervised.

I was in a training course last year to become a Foster Parent with the Childrens Aid Society, and they said that at 10 years old, if a child is sufficiently responsible (ie. mature, reliable, etc), they could be left in the home alone for a period of up to 3 hours.
      (That's not law, just their suggestion).

To be safe, it is best if the child has immediate access to a close neighbour, who is AWARE that the child is home alone.

And I think it would depend on how safe you feel, how far away you would be, if you believe the child is mature and trustworthy....

In MY PERSONAL OPINION, to let your child hang out at home for a couple hours after school would probably be fine, just tell him to lock the door, stay off the phone (except for emergencies), and keep away from the oven

Comment

I would do it, especially considering the details you provided. Call the child to make sure they get home (or have them cal you), make a rule that they don't answer door for ANYONE, or answer the phone unless it is your number. Perhaps you should ask the mother as it seems reasonable to get her input on it.

Comment

Our local community centre runs a short program for kids aged 8-12 to teach them the skills about being home alone (safety, emergency procedures etc) why not look into seeing if there is such a program in your area, so that you have a bit more peace of mind that he has the ability?( and can be good that your son has completed such a course if your x protests).
          I believe, if you think your child is competent and mature then it is not too young.

Comment

I have a document from Toronto Public Health called "Family Workshop Handbook - At Home Alone - 5 easy steps to independence" The purpose is to "help families prepare their 10 to 14 year olds to be home alone safely". From this I would say that you are legally okay to allow your 10 year old to stay alone so long as he is responsible. I belive I got this off the web when my daughter was about 11. Here is the URL http://www.toronto.ca/health/injuryp...ophandbook.pdf

Comment

Seeing as children of 12 years of age are legally allowed to babysit other children (ie: being home alone and taking care of a younger child), then a 10 year old should be able to stay home after school for a couple of hours. But then again, it all depends on the level of maturity of the child. If your child is mature and resourceful, I don't think it should be a problem for him to come home after school and be alone for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by singledad99 View Post
                I have a question to which I can't find a clear answer. Can a 10 years old child stay at home alone for couple of hours?
                Not until they are 12 years old. Any younger and you risk being charged with child endangerment. Not a good idea.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                  I just wanted to add that according to the Red Cross babysitting course a child from age 11 and up is legally allowed to baby sit....Look it up within your local Red Cross.....

If you child is 10 an older I would allow him/her to stay at home after school...

Comment

Babysitting Course

Because caring for children is more than just child's play.

As parents of young children, has your favourite babysitter taken a Canadian Red Cross Babysitting Course?
                    You're an adolescent of 11 years old or older and you've decided to become a babysitter; are you prepared for this important responsibility? For example, do you know how to:
                    • Feed a baby or change a diaper?
                    • Prepare a simple meal?
                    • Play games with children of all ages?
                    • Prevent injuries and keep children safe?
                    • Handle an emergency if one happens?
                    A good babysitter knows all of these things and more. Learning them can be easy and fun with the Red Cross Babysitting Course. The newly revised Babysitting Course is updated for today's youth.
                    For many young adolescents, babysitting is their first job, and the Red Cross can help them become real "pros"! They learn valuable tips for managing their business, as well as:

Comment

Cornwall Community Police Service - Cornwall Ontario Canada

According to the Cornwall Police the age is 10....

Comment

There is a course that ten-twelve year olds can take to "learn safety skills" in regards to staying short periods of time alone.Most of these courses are offered through city or school programs.
                        The law is grey in regards to this issue... it depends on the maturity of the child. Why don't you try some dry runs... leave him alone and make a 20 minute run to the grocery store ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stepmom View Post
                          Cornwall Community Police Service - Cornwall Ontario Canada

According to the Cornwall Police the age is 10....
                          Trusting the welfare of your children to a 10 year old is sheer folly.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X