Financials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financials

I’ve been separated almost 15 years now, throughout this time we tried to settle unfortunately we never reached An agreement. I received a call yesterday from my old lawyer say my ex is taking me to court, I’m guessing it’s a case conference. Do I have to update the financials, or do I use the ones from the date of separations. We have not lived together in over 15 years. The home itself was owned by me and my father prior to marriage. Her name was never on title. They will be asking for substantial amount of interest. What gets me upset is I tried to settle so many times and each time it was never good enough, I will be hiring a lawyer but as you can imagine I’m fearing for the worse.
    Last edited by OB1; 12-17-2019, 07:17 AM.

I assume the dispute is over whether she gets a settlement from the house. I can't believe this hasn't been resolved in 15 years?? What should have happened is this. The value of the house should have been determined at the time she started living in the house and the value when she stopped living in the house. She then gets half of the appreciation between the two dates.

But she may have a hard time getting that now. A Judge should ask "What took her so long to file the motion?" I'd say there is no way she gets any interest and there is a good possibility she gets nothing since it has been so long.

You can't just come back 15 years later and ask for money.

Comment

The 15 year delay is bad for your ex. Equalization claims have to be made in 6, and the Real Property Limitations Act puts a cap at 10 years.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X