X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resulting Trust

The Issue:

I put down a $20,000.00 deposit as a down payment on a house my common law and I bought together 5 years ago. It was a gift from my father. In order to get a mortgage together, we had to present a gift letter to the bank that the money from my father was a gift to me.

He put down 7 thousand dollars as a deposit.

The house was in both our names.

He paid the mortgage and the property taxes. I paid half the utilities.

We are splitting up now, and i am requesting half the equity plus 20,000.00 more due to resulting trust. In law, it is presumed that i am giving him the money in trust and that he is supposed to pay it back.

His lawyer is saying that i am not entitled to it back, as My lawyer says i have a case for resulting trust.

Is the onus on me and my lawyer to prove it wasnt a gift or to him and his lawyer that is was a gift from me and was never meant to be paid back. Does his paying the mortgage and the taxes prove he doesnt have to pay it back.

Does anyone know.

You want half the equity plus your down payment back? What about his 7k down payment?

Comment

You have a point, but do i still have a case for resulting trust. I am an owner of the home, so i am wondering if resulting trust applies in this case. Is my lawyer just telling me what i want to hear, or do i have a way of getting my deposit back.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X