Default hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default hearing

My ex husband is over $66,000 in arrears. I was getting nowhere with FRO for nearly 9 years, so I composed an email to the Director of FRO and cc'd my MPP and the Ombudsman's office. Within an hour, I received an email back from the Director and told me she was listening. She heard me out and within two days, someone from the Ministry had called me and taken down all my information, looked at my file and all the unanswered online FRO requests I'd made, including screenshots of my ex boasting about his second job, his flipping of fixing up motorcycles, and all money he's made.

He's been in contempt of court for over 2 years. He has a long list of court ordered information he was told to present, including NOA's for the past 7 years, Equifax report, credit statements, bank account records for himself, his son, and his ex-girlfriend, and the list goes on. He has not presented one thing. As a result, his pleadings were struck and I got an uncontested trial. I was awarded$30,000 in back support and unpaid section 7's, as well as $30,000 in court costs to be paid in 90 days made payable as child support through FRO.

So, they are proceeding with a default hearing. I was told I don't need to be there and considering I can't have my lawyer there, I'm leaning towards not going. Has anyone had experience with one of these? Should I go? I'm going through another bad split, so I could really use this money to help subsidize us while I'm in the process of finding full-time work. This man stole so much from me while we were married, and it would nice to get a little of it back.

You may not have to go but it could be a good idea. They can refer to you in the gallery and put a face to the case. Plus it sends a message to your ex that you aren’t hiding from this and it isn’t a joke.

Comment

Once FRO exhausts its collection I believe they would be looking for jail time for him?

I'd attend merely out of curiosity (if it is not too inconvenient for you). Would be fun to see him squirm.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        Once FRO exhausts its collection I believe they would be looking for jail time for him?

I'd attend merely out of curiosity (if it is not too inconvenient for you). Would be fun to see him squirm.
        That's the only reason I'm leaning towards going! lol

Comment

I just received an update. I couldn't go, as I just started my new job. I'm guessing he didn't show up for the hearing because FRO left a message saying there's a warrant out for his arrest now. I'm guessing the police don't care so I have to wait until they feel like executing it, which will probably be never.

Comment

If he gets stopped by the police for speeding or whatever they’ll see the warrant and take him into custody.

Comment

fingers crossed he'll pay up to keep himself out of jail- and it could be a nice little bump to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                fingers crossed he'll pay up to keep himself out of jail- and it could be a nice little bump to help you out.
                I really could use that money right about now.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X