No announcement yet.

Halloween. What is all the fuss about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW Halloween isn't pagan in origin - it started off as "All Hallows Eve", the night before November 1, which was All Saints (Hallows) Day in the medieval Christian calendar. If I remember right, the idea was that the spirits of the departed saints were supposed to walk the earth on All Hallows' Eve, which eventually turned into kids in costumes running around. In some countries like Mexico, Nov 1 is still celebrated as the Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos), and people go to cemeteries to decorate graves and have parties to commemorate the deceased. Our Halloween is a kid-ified version of the religious holiday.

In case anyone's interested, I'm not really keen on any holidays - too much artificial pressure to buy things. I try to do things which are fun for the kidlet, but don't place too much emphasis on any one particular day.

Comment

I've never been a big fan of Halloween. My sisters (twins) were born on Halloween, so it was never really Halloween, it was always their birthday.

My sisters love it though. So does my wife and my daughter. They get right geared up for it, and much like Christmas, I like watching them enjoy themselves.

I do see people go all out on it though, which is fine if that is there thing. I feel everyone has a holiday they go bigger on then others. For most it is Christmas, others Halloween and some it is Easter. Now, these are the traditional North American holidays, which are all I really know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
        So for the 3 of you, none of your spouses get you anything for birthday or valentine's day and never have? Just curious...
        my x bought me my one and only leather coat for my 40th as he said it was a milestone birthday. Other then that one time we didn't exchange gifts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
          my x bought me my one and only leather coat for my 40th as he said it was a milestone birthday. Other then that one time we didn't exchange gifts etc.
          No gifts exchanged here on valentines or birthdays either for each other currently (or in the first). If I want something for myself year round, I purchase it. We do make an effort to cook a nice dinner/hang out.

Hallowe'en isn't my favorite holiday (mine is Christmas), but I agree, each holiday is what you make of it with your family. When kidlet was young we started the pumpkin patch visits, planning the jack carving, etc. A good week of family/together time can go into the final rush of 3 hours of trick/treating. We still spent last night carving funny faces and laughing - and kidlet is almost 20.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Fwiw. I have this desire and thankfully it was mostly kept by my ex that I wanted my birthday to be just another day. For some sadistic reason it made me think of the things I had not yet accomplished in life yet. I would put on a cheery happy face for everyone but how can you celebrate getting freaking older? Are you not just one year closer to dead? My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigerst View Post
              Fwiw. I have this desire and thankfully it was mostly kept by my ex that I wanted my birthday to be just another day. For some sadistic reason it made me think of the things I had not yet accomplished in life yet. I would put on a cheery happy face for everyone but how can you celebrate getting freaking older? Are you not just one year closer to dead? My 2 cents.
              You can look at it that way. Getting older. I count my fray hairs as the years go by too. BUT you can also look at things more positively and learn to enjoy the PROCESS as time moves on.

no right or wrong. Rule of thumb, "it just IS." EMBRACE.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                So for the 3 of you, none of your spouses get you anything for birthday or valentine's day and never have? Just curious...
                My husband always buys gifts for my birthday and they are usuallu awesome. I buy him gifts and try to make them special. Valentines is just being together.

Comment

My partner talked a lot about halloween with his kids last night and this morning. I felt bad for him but also tried to remind him theyre both teens so at least he got the good trick or treating years with them whereas many divorced dads dont. He agreed. Next hurdle is Christmas. Kids are already rumbling about not coming to see him (its technically his year--but "kids get to decide" etc) so hes starting to get sad.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X