This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex left kids home alone for 2 days

Looking for advice here. I'm fuming. My ex took off to Florida with her boyfriend on Wednesday morning and left the kids home alone until I picked them up at 5pm today.

The kids are 14 and 16 so it's probably not the end of the world but she left the16 year old the keys to her car he has a G2 and let him drive while she was gone.

The problem is he has no insurance unless a parent is in the car. He was driving my younger one to school and to dinner.

My lawyer thinks I should send her a polite email asking why?

Thoughts? Should I call Childrens aid, we are going to court May 27th as she is voluntarily unemployed and now on vacation. No wonder she cashed my support payments early.

Thx

calling childrens aid would be overkill.

Comment

Yes, I agree contacting Children's Aid may be over-reaching here. However it is concerning that the 16 year old was permitted to drive around without any insurance coverage.

Your lawyer most likely wants you to send a poiite email asking why, because he wants this documented.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia View Post
        Yes, I agree contacting Children's Aid may be over-reaching here. However it is concerning that the 16 year old was permitted to drive around without any insurance coverage.

Your lawyer most likely wants you to send a poiite email asking why, because he wants this documented.
        unless it is a restriction of the insurance company, I am reading nothing on the website that states a G2 driver has no insurance unless there is a parent in the car.
        http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ce-new-drivers

to the OP unless the insurance company has that restriction, then I wouldnt bother contacting the mom. Mother and the 16 year old did nothing wrong.
        Last edited by standing on the sidelines; 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Sounds like he means a G1, which would be the norm at just 16 - most 16 year olds don't have a G2 license. In the case of a G1, the kid would have to have a fully licensed driver present. If not, the insurance would most certainly not cover anything.

OP will need to clarify if he meant G1 or G2, I think?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
            Sounds like he means a G1, which would be the norm at just 16 - most 16 year olds don't have a G2 license. In the case of a G1, the kid would have to have a fully licensed driver present. If not, the insurance would most certainly not cover anything.

OP will need to clarify if he meant G1 or G2, I think?
            If they take driving training they dont have to wait the full year to get their G2 licence.

You are right the OP needs to clarify this.

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm better now on leaving the kids alone, they are older and responsible, I wouldn't have done that personally, my ex and I are just different.

Yes, my son completed drivers Ed and got his G2 early. I know the MTO website doesn't list you need insurance however when I called my insurance provider when he turned 16 he had to be registered as a part time driver, when he got his g2 I called back they raised my rate because he can drive alone and reissued the insurance papers, the pink slip you get with his and my name on it in case he gets in an accident or pulled over, the police would want proof of insurance.

I sent my ex a polite email asking her to confirm the details and remind her again that the insurance is not transferable. Since she is in Florida on vacation I haven't heard back as to the explanation.

Thanks everyone. This is a great forum, I have learned so much from everyone here.

Comment

are you postivie that the ex doesnt have insurance for him on her car?

Comment

I asked politely in my email to confirm, if she doesn't I will request it through the lawyer, we go to trial at the end of the month to impute income to her as she hasn't worked in 3.5 years, hopefully when she's back from her Florida vacation for a week she will tell me.

Comment

We get you are pissed at the fact she went to florida for a week, you keep mentioning it. It has nothing to do with if the child has insurance under her or not.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                      We get you are pissed at the fact she went to florida for a week, you keep mentioning it. It has nothing to do with if the child has insurance under her or not.

SOS, the OP doesn't seem bitter that his ex is on a Florida vacation. He does admt to feeling fumed, and it's quite natural; in fact, I'd wonder if he was human if he didn't feel some resentment under these circumstances.

2 months ago my stbx went to Cuba for a vacation and last month to another vacation to Florida. I wasn't happy about it but it certainly didn't distract me from working towards my main goals.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
                        SOS, the OP doesn't seem bitter that his ex is on a Florida vacation. He does admt to feeling fumed, and it's quite natural; in fact, I'd wonder if he was human if he didn't feel some resentment under these circumstances.

2 months ago my stbx went to Cuba for a vacation and last month to another vacation to Florida. I wasn't happy about it but it certainly didn't distract me from working towards my main goals.
                        yes but her going to florida doesnt matter considering the question he asked was about his teenager driving the car with maybe no insurance.

whats the difference between bitter, pissed and fumed? To me it all is the same.

Comment

I think the OP mainly wanted to vent concerning his ex going to Florida and the court date is so close...I get it, as I'm also going to court (for the first time) in 4 weeks time, and it is stressful.

Bitter, stressed, fumed...pretty much the same in my books. I was just alluding that maybe we should be a little more understanding and empathetic of others. When I first became a member of this forum, I noticed that the atmosphere was pretty rough, and I followed suit. Now that a well known member has bid adieu, this board is becoming a lot more compassionate. It's a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
                            I think the OP mainly wanted to vent concerning his ex going to Florida and the court date is so close...I get it, as I'm also going to court (for the first time) in 4 weeks time, and it is stressful.

Bitter, stressed, fumed...pretty much the same in my books. I was just alluding that maybe we should be a little more understanding and empathetic of others. When I first became a member of this forum, I noticed that the atmosphere was pretty rough, and I followed suit. Now that a well known member has bid adieu, this board is becoming a lot more compassionate. It's a good sign.
                            i can understand that. He needs to focus on that instead of the kid driving.

As for being understanding and empathetic of others, for the most part I try to be except when someone (not the OP) keeps doing the same shit over and over again even when warned not to. Face it I am sure there are some posters on here that you have probably wondered "what the hell are they thinking?"

Comment

I got the feeling OP was feeling negative because his ex hasn't worked for over 3 years and can afford to go to Florida. Probably thinks the kids wouldn't have liked to go with her as well.

16 and 14 are OK to be left alone for a couple of days, but OP should know when they are left alone in case anything happens.

Simply asking in an email if 16 has proper insurance was the right step.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X