Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have to claim cs on my taxes?

I just got off the phone with CRA to discuss a payment plan for previous years outstanding debt. During the conversation, and when trying to tell them that I didn't have the money to pay the amount in full at this time, we discussed my bills and ability to pay. They are sending me a statement to fill out which should show them my monthly bills and how much I have left over at the end of the month, to determine how much my repayemnt plan will be on this outsatnding debt. She rep fromCRA told me that I have to claim child support as income, even though it's not taxable. And, my ex has to also put it on his filing as something he is paying out. Why? Please tell my why this is when I've always been told it's not taxable and as such, didn't claim it as income. Any input. I'm very confused here. Thanks.

You report everything that comes in, taxable or not. That's the law. You enter the total support payments received on line 156, including child support. This line isn't taxable. You enter the amount of taxable support payments (spousal) on line 128. It's called disclosure.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea and I'm a little upset with a family friend who is an accountant and who asked me specifically about this, yet didn't add to my filing in previous years. Does this mean that it will make any difference to what I get back each year ( or don't) and same for my ex? Will he benefit from paying child support on his taxes?

Comment

No it won't make any difference to either of you.

Comment

All I know is CS is not taxable but SS is. I always included the CS on my tax return. Wondered about that too. If I ever SEE any of the SS, I will include that as well.

Comment

oh my i had no idea..... oops! what about payout of equalization? Is it true too that you need to register your court orders with cra?

Comment

The equalization payment is a capital transaction and does not need to be reported for tax.

You do not have to register anything with CRA - sometimes they will request to see your agreements/court orders if they are questioning or clarifying something

Comment

Whew, one less thing to do...

Comment

In order for the support payor to claim the SS as a tax deduction, they must be current on their CS obligation. If they are in arrears in CS, they can't claim SS.

That would be why you have to report it...to make sure the numbers match up.

Comment

found this:
                    Registering your court order or written agreement

If a court order or written agreement requires payment of support for a spouse or common-law partner, it must be registered with the Canada Revenue Agency. By doing so, we are able to verify the part of your payments that is spousal support and, if applicable, the part that is child support. You will also avoid unnecessary delays and adjustments to your income tax and benefit return.

To register your court order or written agreement, follow the instructions on Form T1158, Registration of Family Support Payments. Do not include your order or agreement with your income tax and benefit return.

So you only need to register if spousal is included?

Comment

Another question: how are arrears handled? If the cs paying parent did not pay for a few months, or if they paid to catch up? Especially if other things such as daycare are included in that? How are these calculated ?

Comment

Where is DDTE when you need him!

Comment

He's happily in love..... Lol and went out and moved on and got a life! Can you imagine that? Lmao

Comment

the NERVE of some people

Comment

He was at the Lighthouse concert Friday night, had a great time I'm sure!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X