This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mat.home intentionally deteriorate

My situation is my ex just stated to me the other week that the mat.home value has gone down significantly and laughed. A few months ago, was going to sell the property and had a few estimated house values from some real estate agents and sent me an email stating how much the house could go for. I have been trying to get a house appraisal back in spring last year and ex has failed to do so. The court application states I would like to get one done asap.
    I have a strong feeling that he has intentionally allowed the house to deteriorate therefore causing the value to go down. He has been conducting the business from home. I have not walked thru the house since I moved my stuff out in spring. I wouldn't put it past him that he has allowed this to happen as he is extremely angry and feels I dont deserve a penny out of the house.
    What do I do, what are my rights to gain access into the house to see the condition? What could he possibly do to make it go down that much? The market is pretty good right now....

I don't have answers for you, but I think you should let your ex know that you are ready and willing to put some money into the house with him to get it out of disrepair so you can sell it. Put it in writing and let him know that you have a budget to do some painting, plumbing, or what ever. Tell him you want a walk through. He should let in you since it still is your house too. Do show some interest in the property and put it in writing or he can say that you have abandoned the property leaving him with all the expenses.

Comment

could he just be bluffing you?? Other then going from room to room and trashing it, breaking pipes and letting water pour all over or stuff like that, there is no way the house could go down in value that much.

If you moved out last spring and he has paid the mortgage, bills and property taxes without help from you then that hurts your case a bit. It does show that you walked away from it. Maybe that was not your intention, but that is what it looks like.

Work out what you think your share is worth and take off what he paid on your behalf for the mortgage and property taxes (that belongs to him) Then make him an offer and see if he bites.

Comment

I experienced the same situation. First of all, he said on his financials he was paying property taxes and wasn't. Found out when we sold the house. Had the courts order him to pay taxes throught his share of the sale proceeds (he didn't respond to my court docs). If he is living in the house he should pay all expenses. You have expenses of your own. By him living in the house you could get i.e rental income from him for the use of your half of the property (I couldn't ask for this as I was receiving spousal support). I had the courts order that he paint the house at his expense and let me walk through to see that he painted. I had my own real estate agent and had the courts order that the house be put up for sale for a certain amount and would not accept an offer less than a certain amount. I also had it ordered that the sale of the home must be to an arm's length third party and he cannot have any vested interest in the property, meaning the house couldn't be sold to anyone he knows. Within a month the house sold after almost 3 years of his games. This was only my experience. You have to stay on top of things to keep it moving forward. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks alot for the info Anna. My lawyer has included in the reply for occupancy rent. He feels that I owe him an offset amount of money and that's why he hasn't paid any cs and said until these other matters get resolved. But honestly, this could have went on and on for years right? So, I don't think his reasoning for NO CS is valid. Yes, maybe I will owe him money but that doesn't give him the right to not pay cs until that time comes when we can sort out all the other financial things.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X