No announcement yet.

Prep work for divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since you responded and misunderstood.... Family law has a stipulation of all assets disposed of two years prior to your asking for divorce - "your separation date". If you are considering a split the last thing you want is to co mingle and have joint accounts - he could empty them and you would have basically no recourse.....

Comment

The problem you are going to run into is that everything is in your name. Credit card companies and banks don't care whether your married or not, your name is on the account it is your responsibility. You have mentioned the only asset is the house, with very little equity. Unless he is making a huge (and I mean huge) amount of money and has tons sitting in the bank there isn't much to equalize.

You really should speak to a lawyer as you are talking about a large amount of debt and very little assests.

Comment

Originally posted by Soon_to_be View Post
        To clarify a few things:

The company he works for is based in that country hence why the accts are open there, and yes he spends less than half the year in canada as of late.. But he didn't claim un-residency here.. Still has access to health care etc.. He is employed at one company to one employer..

The card I have is a debit card and I have a pin to use it, not sure if this will grant me access to his records .. Again I will have to investigate
        The house is about 3.5 yrs old, so I don't think the 2 yr issue applies here.. And I don't mind selling the house.. It's not my biggest worry at the moment..it's the huge amount of debt..

I would imagine we can work it out in a civil way.. But I'm trying to prepare for the worst case scenario here.. I don't expect him to be very happy about me leaving him.. So I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't cooperate..

I will check out any counseling offered thru the govt. That certainly would help..

If I try to add him onto my bank accts now... Would that help anything? I'm just thinking out loud here.. Not even sure if the bank would allow it with his bad credit..
        I am thinking if you want to add him to your accounts then he would have to sign something. He may wonder why you want to do that.

Comment

And I don't understand what adding him to your accounts now will do? So he can empty them out? Run up credit card debt? It does not seem like a wise decision, as once he is a card holder he can empty your joint account and there is nothing you can do about it.

I don't know about having to sign, as I opened our joint account and just added my partners name to it, he didn't have to sign anything, but I am still the primary account holder.

Comment

maybe different banks do different things. I know when my mom made me joint on her bank accounts I had to go to the bank and sign papers.

Maybe a difference between established bank accounts vs opening up a new one?

If this is a way to try and slide debt to him then couldn't he say that he never consented to having his name on any debts?

I know I added my ex on my credit card when we were still together (supplementary card) but I was responsible for all charges on that card. He didn't have to sign for that as I was already on the hook if it didn't get paid.
            Last edited by standing on the sidelines; 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I don't believe a pin number allows access to online banking records.

Once the OP has accessed some counselling/advice she could perhaps request the information from the husband. If this couple is drowning in debt then it would stand to reason that they need a plan of action.

Not knowing the dynamics of the relationship of this couple makes it difficult to give much more advice.

It would be ideal, however, if the husband voluntarily provided information so that they could work out a budget and jointly reduce the debts. As he is out of the country for extended periods of time he very well may appreciate it if she was to utilize a simple computer-based budget and email it to him monthly. The budget would show their respective income and expenses. If she was able to get him to buy into this process, and decide down the road to file for divorce, it will make it much easier for both parties to determinate their net worth and ongoing responsibilities.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X