This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contempt of court

My ex was court ordered to provide income tax returns and assessments by June 21 of each year...he efiled on July 18th of this year and his lawyer emailed me the copy but I have yet to receive his assessments.I phoned his lawyer who advised me that he is no longer responsible for my ex and if I want to serve him for contempt then I have to find him..My ex was in arrears of 58,000.He quit his job 2 years ago when I started court proceedings...so we went to court last october and I agreed with his laywer that if he would just pay for our daughters braces I would forgive the 58,000..he does crystal meth and his mom had him committed so he collects welfare now and works under the table. Before court he was making 80 to 100 thousand a year. He agreed to make child support payments of 425.00 last Oct and has made one...how do I get him back to court when I have no address for him and do I have a case of contempt for not providing me with the tax documents..I represent myself as I have supported the kids for the last 12 years with little funding from him(he decided after he was court order in 2000 to pay 897.00 month that he would give me 200.00 a month).I can't afford lawyers please help I am so frustrated he just wont do as court tells him to do.Thanks Darcdarl

Normally the family responsibility office is the organization that ensures court orders are followed. have you been in touch with them? Their next step would be to take his license away, then his passport and jail following if doesn't make any effort to address his arrears. Since he has decided to deep six his career rather than pay you, I doubt that any of these punishments would serve your purposes. Unfortunately our court system punishes the breadwinner and the FRO finishes them off completely when they are unable to live on what is left after all is said and done. Ask yourself if there is some way you could reach out to him without threats so that you both can have some quality of life. $58,000 is a large chunk of money, perhaps your lawyer and the judge went too far and bankrupted the guy. Seems like a common problem these days. Maybe our government should force judges to have accountants in the room when they make these rulings to ensure that both parties can survive in the aftermath.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X