This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retainer fee

My husband and I are currently using a mediator for or legal separation.How do you give a lawyer a retainer fee when the only real asset I have possession of is the matrimonial home and a Safari van? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sherri

Funny you should ask. Here is how I did it:

Borrowed from friend
    Sold the car
    Remortgaged the house
    Added a second mortgage on the house (with the decline in real estate values, the loans on the houses are higher than its market value)
    Paid the retainer through credit cards (lawyers now accept credit card)
    Borrowed from other friend
    Wrote cheques on the credit card, the other credit card and the other credit card until ran out
    Used all my tax refund
    Used my overdraft protection

Now, I am all out. So, I am thinking to sell one of my kidneys or part of my liver to pay my lawyer. My ex on the other hand enjoys a hefty spousal support, a vacation like life style, free housing, under the table wages, and free lethal aid from the govt (oops...I meant legal aid)

Sorry no mercy in the world of family courts on those who work hard. You just have to come up with cash to pay the lawyer like everyone else in this system.

Comment

- Borrowed from my parents.
      - Paid lawyer with visa cheques (visa cheques were offering 3% interest for 6months)
      - Transferred to LOC. I had a line of credit setup for the sole intentation of legal bills.
      - Also had LOC through Royal Bank where you only had to make interest payments.
      - Tax time when I got a refund would put it on LOC. However it did not cover the cost of my legal bills.

Comment

Originally posted by momof 3C's View Post
        My husband and I are currently using a mediator for or legal separation.How do you give a lawyer a retainer fee when the only real asset I have possession of is the matrimonial home and a Safari van? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
        Sherri
        My lawyer took his fees (including a retainer) from my share of the proceeds from the sale of the matrimonial home. And a retainer is usually just the start - legal fees for divorce cases can end up being tens of thousands of dollars especially where the parties disagree and have to go to Court.

Comment

Originally posted by singledad99 View Post
          Funny you should ask. Here is how I did it:

Borrowed from friend
          Sold the car
          Remortgaged the house
          Added a second mortgage on the house (with the decline in real estate values, the loans on the houses are higher than its market value)
          Paid the retainer through credit cards (lawyers now accept credit card)
          Borrowed from other friend
          Wrote cheques on the credit card, the other credit card and the other credit card until ran out
          Used all my tax refund
          Used my overdraft protection

Now, I am all out. So, I am thinking to sell one of my kidneys or part of my liver to pay my lawyer. My ex on the other hand enjoys a hefty spousal support, a vacation like life style, free housing, under the table wages, and free lethal aid from the govt (oops...I meant legal aid)

Sorry no mercy in the world of family courts on those who work hard. You just have to come up with cash to pay the lawyer like everyone else in this system.

Welcome to the wonderful world of divorce. All you have worked for in your life could be lost in the blink of an eye. And the inequity that exists in Family Courts between men and women becomes painfully evident (keyword=painfully).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X