Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPP and divorce

I wanted to confirm the following:

there is a max in terms of CPP payments. Above a certain salary, there is a maximum amount that one would receive regardless of income...is that true.

I understand that CPP credits can be divided between the parties involved.

Is this only true if they both agree?

thanks

no you just get the forum (I believe it is online) and fill it out and send it in. If I remember correctly you might have to send in a copy of your divorce order or other documentation). A few months you should get confirmation in the mail and copy of same.

Comment

The form can be located here:

Service Canada Forms - Form Profile: Canada Pension Plan Credit Split (upon separation or divorce), Kit

Either person can file for it and you do not need the others consent

Hope this helps

Comment

The processing of the form can take a very long time. It took almost a year for my husband's form to be processed and his exwife did not disagree with any of the dates that he included on the form. They also need the final divorce certificate as whatever one he included originally didn't have the court seal on it so he had to fax that in for it to be finalized.

Also, keep in mind that you are entitled to it from the time you started living together as the time that you are commonlaw also counts toward your entitlement. Don't worry so much about the exact month that you started cohabitating as they only count the year (they count from the year after you started cohabiting up to the year you ceased cohabitation).

Comment

I had no problem with the credit split. The lady at Service Canada was very helpful, and processing took about 4 weeks.

Note:
          If you did not apply within 36 months after the end of your marriage, your pension credits can be divided only if your former spouse is still alive and agrees in writing to waive the 36-month time limit.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
            I had no problem with the credit split. The lady at Service Canada was very helpful, and processing took about 4 weeks.

Note:
            If you did not apply within 36 months after the end of your marriage, your pension credits can be divided only if your former spouse is still alive and agrees in writing to waive the 36-month time limit.
            Is that 36 months from the date of separation, or the divorce date?

If my ex had applied, would I be notified?

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post

Note:
              I thought it was posted on here that after a certain year that rule was changed?

Comment

There is a max every year.

2013 max was $2356.20
                2014 max is 2425.50

T4032-OC - Payroll Deductions Tables - CPP, EI, and income tax deductions - In Canada beyond the limits of any province/territory or outside Canada - Effective January 1, 2014

Comment

Divorced or separated - Canada Pension Plan - Service Canada

Comment

What I was looking for is below. There is a maximum you can collect in benefits. If spouses both are at max no point in looking at tax credits.

Canada Pension Plan pensions and benefits - Monthly and maximum payment amounts - January - December 2014

Type of pension or benefit Average amount for new beneficiaries (October 2013) Maximum payment amount (2014)
                    Retirement pension (at age 65) $594.19 $1,038.33

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X