• We make them visit as children.....

Why not as adults too?

Interesting concept....

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
    Why not as adults too?

Interesting concept....

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines
    Firstly, I am not fond of the term "visitation" when discussing access schedules. It is very condescending in the first place to discuss "visitation" to any parent as they are a parent. This is why the term "visitation" is rarely used these days by justices and custody and access assessors.

Children are not "forced" to go to access visits. Good parents ensure that their children have access to both parents because it is simply the right of the child. It only requires a court order when "controlling" and "high conflict" people can't seem to figure this out and do it without court intervention. Generally, the parents are unable to put their children's "best interests" first and a court has to be called upon to setup an access schedule and order one... In accordance with Rule 24.(2) of the CLRA...

Why do the courts do this for minor children? Because they can't do it for themselves and one or both of their parents are unable to figure it out without court intervention and an order being made to respect their children's best interests.

Finally, why don't they do this for adult children like they do in China.

1. Canada is not China.
    2. Adults are adults and do not need the court generally to intervene on their best interests like children (minors) often need.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

2. Adults are adults and do not need the court generally to intervene on their best interests like children (minors) often need.
      I would agree that its an interesting concept.

I also think that we could learn from the Chinese culture in respecting our elders more...listening to them more...caring for them more...and learning from them more.

That being said, I know a lot of people who don't visit their parents as adults because they had really nasty, bad parents and frankly, I don't blame them.

I will say, I find it amusing that I have to kind of bribe my 20-something year old to come over for dinner once a week. Either with food or money. She's busy and just can never seem to find time to visit me as much as I'd like and I truly miss her.

But I find ways to get her to come over and if I need her to babysit her sister or I need her to do something for me...she always does...so I can hardly complain. I do know that as time passes, I'm going to have to really work with her to make sure we see each other regularly though. I can kind of see why the Chinese law came about but I think its a bad idea to try here. I don't think you should turn visiting grandma into a chore.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X