This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations

My ex does not believe in vaccinations of any sort. I do believe in them but believe in a conservative approach. That means I would insist on tetanus and meningitis but I would not insist on the flu shot. Our kids have never had any vaccinations.

A couple of her friends with similar beliefs nearly lost their kids to diseases that vaccinations should have prevented. One has some minor but permanent impairment.

My kids health is the number one priority. Relations between my ex and I are not the best but at the same time we are communicating. If I push the issue this will go down the tubes. I am willing to lose the communication if my kids keep healthy. She pulled the line, "over my dead body".

Anyone with experience in court with this?

How would you resolve this issue if you were still together? Would you go to court?

Comment

You may have to actually have her charged with neglect to get an order. You might have to get children's aid involved. You certainly have reasonable grounds in that she could be endangering your children.

There is a risk of harm to the children from a failure to provide adequate care

or

The children require medical treatment to prevent harm and she refuses to provide the necessary treatment

http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs...andneglect.pdf

You may want to speak to the children's physician and get his opinion and see if he will support you and try and talk with the ex for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        How would you resolve this issue if you were still together? Would you go to court?
        One of her reasons for leaving was our disagreement on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by penniless View Post

You may want to speak to the children's physician and get his opinion and see if he will support you and try and talk with the ex for you.
          She told the doctor he did not know what he was talking about.

Comment

Some possible arguments here:
            CanLII - 2002 CanLII 49568 (ON SC)

You're dealing with an irrational belief though (as you know) ... not sure how you to deal with that other than court.

Comment

What's with the no vaccinations thing? Is it religious or just a deep rooted belief that they are harmful? Is medicine okay when the child falls ill? IE: Tylenol etc, or prescription meds, or is that not acceptable to her either?

Comment

Doctors are all corrupt. No Tylenol though they will get meds when they get really sick and end up in emerg. Then she gets really mad when the doc tells her the visit could have been avoided if a vaccination had been given.

Comment

Are mosy vaccinations not required by the school board? While personally I don't believe in vaccinations, pets or people, I do realize that some vaccinations are required by law for school. For instance last school year my little brother received a notice stating that the school did not have a current vaccination record on file and as such he would be suspended from school if the vaccination records were not forwarded to the school by a certain date. He had his vaccinations so it was simply a matter of providing this to the school, but how one gets away with no vaccinations is beyond me.

People are entitled to their own opinions and I don't feel one is neglectful for not providing vaccinations, however it could become a problem once the school board becomes involved.

Comment

They are required by the school unless you apply for an exemption. I have no idea how common it is to be given an exemption or what the process is, though.

Comment

There is an exemption. All you need to do is sign a paper saying you are opposed to the shots. The only caveat is that if there is an outbreak of a certain disease(s) the child can be sent home until it has cleared the school.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                        They are required by the school unless you apply for an exemption. I have no idea how common it is to be given an exemption or what the process is, though.
                        Essentially you just need to ask for it and then have it sworn. The only caveat is that if there is an outbreak of a disease the child gets sent home until the outbreak passes.

Comment

Unfortunately, by the time there's a known outbreak it's too late to protect the child as most serious infections are most contagious before symptoms even show up. Meningitis, for example, can develop within a matter of hours up to 24 - 48 hours after exposure and most deaths occur in less than a day from developing a fever. Sending the child home after they've been exposed is no protection for them at all.

I lost a very good friend in high school, literally overnight, to meningitis which spurned a massive vaccination in all the high schools in our city. We all went to the same dance together on a Thursday night, by Friday morning she was dead. Investigations showed she was exposed at the dance by another student from another school, two other students died as well.

The risks are too great for a child to be exposed to so many others without vaccinations, IMO.
                          Last edited by blinkandimgone; 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                            Some possible arguments here:
                            CanLII - 2002 CanLII 49568 (ON SC)

You're dealing with an irrational belief though (as you know) ... not sure how you to deal with that other than court.
                            The practice of "evidence based medicine" is common in Canada and there is more than enough clinical support for vaccinations/inoculations. This case law is an excellent find by dinkyface and thank-you.

If you are going to make a claim about the health and well being of children, your position should be based on the widely accepted practices of "evidence based medicine".

Ultimately, there is no grounding (other than as dinkyface properly identifies) irrationality for not getting your children vaccinated.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by kevindell View Post
                              Doctors are all corrupt.
                              That is a really wide net to cast. Care to provide particulars and evidence to support your statement?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X