Can I now get support for my Daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I now get support for my Daughter

As I just completed the form "Application to discontinue enforcement of Ongoing Support" for my son witch turned 18 and is not going to school it dawned on my what about my daughter.

He has been living with my EX since 2014 and I paid 475/month for support. My daughter is 15 and lives with me full time since the same date. Do I have the right now to seek child support even though my income is much greater?

Court order from 2014 indicates joint custody and Primary residence with the corresponding parent.

Thanks.

In a word, yes.

Even if her income is lower she is still obligated to support her child according to whatever her income is. She has been obligated to do so all along.

Your child support amount may have been calculated for split custody... one would hope so. Split custody is when some children live primarily with a different parent. You would usually pay a non-standard amount of CS, often similar to shared custody, by subtracting the amounts you would owe each other and paying the difference.

Refer to your original court orders and see what they say.

Comment

lol you have been paying support and she hasn't...

Comment

Good luck, my daughter moved in over 2 years ago. finally got my first support payment this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
          lol you have been paying support and she hasn't...
          I'm just hoping he has been paying offset support since they each have custody of one child. The amount of 475 per month sounds like offset when the OP also said they make significantly more than their ex.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X