This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custodial Parent Statistics - Freedom of Info

The canadian government knows and can validate to a certain amount of accuracy what the % of custodial parents ( father vs. mother ) are in Canada, better yet they could tell you by Province or region/Jurisdiction.

so why isnt this information available ?

I am sure there would be resistence under the 'Income Tax' act trying to get it - IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL CANADIANS.

From my experience over the last 3.5 years networking through friends, work and family plus volunteering/connections to mens movements that in Alberta the % of custodial fathers is 5%

Anyone up on the freedom of information act ?

The statistics you really want to get hold of are those that deal with high-school completion, lifetime earnings, teen pregnancy, etc., in children who came from single-parent households with Dads vs. those with Moms.

The reason that these stats are not readily available is readily apparent when you compare them with stats like the one you just quoted.

The long and the short of it is that kids raised solely by their fathers have, statistically, done better in the aforementioned areas (and others) than those raised solely by their mothers.

Of course, 1st year psychology students (et al) learn that correlation does not prove causation, and so there could be a great many reasons for this - most likely IMHO is socio/economic. Still, though, numbers is numbers. The question, then, is "why aren't Dads given custody/residence by default?"

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by pokeman View Post
      The canadian government knows and can validate to a certain amount of accuracy what the % of custodial parents ( father vs. mother ) are in Canada, better yet they could tell you by Province or region/Jurisdiction.

so why isnt this information available ?

I am sure there would be resistence under the 'Income Tax' act trying to get it - IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL CANADIANS.

From my experience over the last 3.5 years networking through friends, work and family plus volunteering/connections to mens movements that in Alberta the % of custodial fathers is 5%

Anyone up on the freedom of information act ?
      The statistics are out there on divorce. There was a posted paper somewhere on this site by a UfT prof who studied the statistics etc. I can't recall the link though.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

right ! , the divorce rate could be easily extracted from income tax data since typically one year you check married and the next your divorced ..

given access to the data, generating statistics is soooooooooooooo easy in todays digital world

a computer statement as simple as the following could realistically give you a fairly accurate count of divorces in 2010 by province :

------------------------------------------------------------------
        select province, count(*) from income_tax_data itd2010
        where itd2010.year=2010
        and itd2010.divorced='Y'
        and itd2010.sin in ( select itd2009.sin from income_tax_data itd2009
        where itd2009.year=2009 and itd2009.divorced='N'
        and itd2009.sin = itd2010.sin )
        group by province;

might show you (example) :

Alberta 1,200,005
        Ontario 4,000,012

a computer statement as simple as the following could realistically give you a count by M/F sex whom was deducting children as dependents - excluding those that are married/remarried or common law or whom spouse passed this year:

lets do it by province :

select itd2010.province, itd2010.sex, count(*) from income_tax_data itd2010
        where itd2010.marital_status not in ('Married','Common Law')
        and itd2010.spouse_deceased not equal 'True'
        and itd2010.dependents is not null
        group by province, sex;

might show you :

alberta men 2,102
        alberta women 39,938

there are probably not more than 25million tax payers in canada which
        todays computers are more than capable of handling;

the above is of course pseudo computer statements and different data
        could be used to refine the accuracy of counts, like looking at the sex
        of whom is collecting child tax credits and so on ...

you can slice and dice the data by year - geographical region - males claiming dependents some of which are female children and so on

lets see what Family Law is dishing out in this country ...

the above is not 'rocket science' and the data is anonymous , the
        government collects it and I think we all have the right to see it.

Comment

its REMEMBRENCE DAY weekend - brave soles gave their lives for freedom so least I can do is write a letter to request a few lines of information - less we forget

My thought - well if (for example) Alberta men only get 5% custody then in the "best interests of the children" it should be publicly known so we/fathers can best decide too shovel everything into a system with little to no chance of returns, as doing so blindly robs these very same children of choices and advantages they may have enjoyed like post secondary education, better healthcare even the ability of the noncustodial parents ability to meet child and spousal support can be affected.

a few google's and i find that canada doesnt have a 'freedom of information act', least not by other countrys standards, in fact we are an example of what NOT to do when it comes to freedom of information about our own country

we might have something to hide ?

this article suggests we rank near last out of 70 countries - I cant even name 70 countries and pretty sure our dear soldiers liberated some of them

Canada News: Study ranks Canada’s freedom-of-information laws dead last - thestar.com

wikipedia says:
          "Canadian access to information laws distinguish between access to records generally and access to records that contain personal information about the person making the request. Subject to exceptions, individuals have a right of access to records that contain their own personal
          information under the Privacy Act but the general public does not have a right of access to records that contain personal information about others under the Access to Information Act"

so you may not even get information about yourself ...

before i picked up my children and ran from an abusive mother and spouse 4 years ago I was a proud Canadian , on topics of " truth - justice - human rights " I would have defended this country to the end

now I only see my children what the law allows , I have debt and hardship from trying to save them, I worry about my childrens future - and trying to change things for the better I find Canada in some ways it looks like what I was taught as child was wrong with ideals like communism and injustices like discrimination.

I do have the freedom to say this here - but thats about it - sometimes you got to fight to make things right, little something to think about on rememberence weekend - less we forget

Comment

Knowledge is power! Controlling what knowledge the public can easily access is a method of controlling the balance of power. Simple!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X