This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Step-Siblings

So, my kids are having issues with their step brother and they want me to talk to their Dad about this. As he and I are in the middle of court right now, and don't get along at the best of times I think this is just adding fuel to an already crazy fire, but they're my boys and I want to help them.
    The step brother is only 6, so I understand he's going to be a handful, that's just the way it is. The complaints I'm getting is that he is hitting, screaming and their Dad doesn't believe them when they tell him as well as he breaks things and they get the blame. They feel as though he cares more about his new stepson then he does about them. The fact that he refuses to take them unless he has his stepson doesn't help. As well, he gets our 15 year old to watch him all the time (he even had him watch him as well as 7 of his little friends during the kids b-day party while he and his friends went to the basement and drank) then promises to pay him for it and doesn't.
    I have been on the phone wih my 10 year old and heard the step brother literally screaming at my son "Your Dad told you to play with me!! Get off the phone!! Get off the phone!! GET OFF THE PHONE!!" my son said "Patience is a virture Buddy" lol (he was really into 'The Mummy' movies at the time). When my youngest tried to tell the ex how he felt the ex told him he is getting into a bad habit of lying. Is there anything I can do? Or should I just keep telling them to talk to their Dad and tell him how they feel? Sooooo frustrating.
    I'm not asking for legal advice, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they dealt with it. Thanks

Ok, this may sound insane but I would just take all of them out for a nice outing (including the stepson) - providing that I'm allowed to do so - so that the kids could see that everyone's equally valued and everyone can have a good time together. This way the stepson can feel like he's included, too. Your kids are older and they have each other, the stepson is still very young and is probably very distressed at what's going on. Something along those lines. LOL, your 15 year old may cringe at the idea of having to spend an outing with the little guy, though.

That would be what I would do. If I'm not allowed to take the stepson anywhere, I'd ask the dad to consider the same thing.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X