This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Muslim prenuptial agreement (mehr) be upheld in court

When we got married (in Canada) I signed a mehr agreement, that if I left my wife or divorced her she would receive money, the amount was $10k. Ethically, I would pay it but I don't have money and it is my wife who cheated on me and wants the divorce, plus the year that we have been separated (but living together) I have been supporting her.

If she takes me to court would she get the money? Does any one know of case like this in Ontario?

If your agreement is the way you stated it, then you don't owe her the money, as she left you and she is divorcing you.

If not, then it seems like you would owe her 10k and I would hope that a court would see it that way - you agreed to it, can't be more simple than that.

Comment

Originally posted by deanp View Post
      When we got married (in Canada) I signed a mehr agreement, that if I left my wife or divorced her she would receive money, the amount was $10k. Ethically, I would pay it but I don't have money and it is my wife who cheated on me and wants the divorce, plus the year that we have been separated (but living together) I have been supporting her.

If she takes me to court would she get the money? Does any one know of case like this in Ontario?
      does it specifically say that you have to be the one to file for divorce and she gets the money or does it say in the event of a divorce, no matter who files? The wording can get pretty tricky and twisted.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X