This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you challenge the right to self-represent

I am posting about the same situation in two different posts to keep things clear.

I saw duty counsel about my motion. They looked at my STBX response and said it was gibberish and does more good for me and harm for her. Said it was good for me overall. Though they were concerned that down the road she could turn around and say she was not properly represented therefore wants a second go around. Should I bring this to the judge's attention.

I think that arguement would only work if she was represented the 2nd time around.

And no, people have the absolute right to go self-rep.

Comment

A judge will provide some limited explanation to a self-rep if they are making major errors that put the decision in jeapardy like that. Duty counsel can be called in to assist as well. Some complain that the judge seems to aid the self-rep but it is not to be biased, it is to avoid an unfair decision that can be appealed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X