This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Flying Solo" Documentary

Just happened to watch "Flying Solo"...found it to be interesting and learned a few things along the way. There were many people interviewed, such as a divorced dad, a guy from New York who dates 3-5 women a week, a divorce lawyer's daughter (note her remarks near the end of the show.) There was also quite a large portion of the show devoted to the Swedes' philosophy of single living.

Personally, I like living alone. I think the main message of this doc was that one can live alone and not be lonely.

Flying Solo - Doc Zone

Hi Caranna,

I watched it as well and was surprised at the Canadian statistics on 'Singledom' never imagined so many lived alone. Was somewhat reassuring to know that so many of us are living this way, be it by choice or circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
      Hi Caranna,

I watched it as well and was surprised at the Canadian statistics on 'Singledom' never imagined so many lived alone. Was somewhat reassuring to know that so many of us are living this way, be it by choice or circumstance.
      After 42 years of marriage I did have to adjust, but it really wasn't as difficult as some may think. It was really choice and circumstance combined. Due to the circumstances, I had to make a choice. If I didn't leave, I doubt that I would be alive today.

Comment

I absolutely loved being single and living alone. While I still technically live aline...having someone here often at first was an adjustment. While I welcome him here, I certainly was never lonely.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
          After 42 years of marriage I did have to adjust, but it really wasn't as difficult as some may think. It was really choice and circumstance combined. Due to the circumstances, I had to make a choice. If I didn't leave, I doubt that I would be alive today.
          I guess it greatly depends on the age of a person. It's harder for the younger folks and easier for the older ones for the obvious reasons.

I can relate to your statement of not being alive. I was dead before we broke up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
            I guess it greatly depends on the age of a person. It's harder for the younger folks and easier for the older ones for the obvious reasons.

I can relate to your statement of not being alive. I was dead before we broke up.
            Not sure how you came up with that conclusion. I was 29 when ex and I separated and as mentioned above I throughly enjoyed my single life and living on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post

I agree, age has a lot to do with how well we adjust. Having young children to care for would make things extremely stressful, that's one of the reasons why I stayed so long in a bad marriage. I was too chicken to risk being a single parent ... all things said and done, it was a bad choice in the end.

All of us will end up alone anyway, be it by divorce or fate. For a young family the effects can be devastating both financially and emotionally.

Comment

I was more alone in the marriage then after it. Although it is still not easy with kids, it is much improved now living separate and apart from my ex... Totally!

Comment

Originally posted by takeontheworld View Post
                  Not sure how you came up with that conclusion. I was 29 when ex and I separated and as mentioned above I throughly enjoyed my single life and living on my own.
                  I came to this conclusion because it's simple human biology or endocrine system that pushes us to do things we do (or don't do) at some certain age. I am not insisting that we are all absolutely the same: we are all different, however the human biology is human biology. Not sure how to explain it on a public forum without going into more details.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                    As for the guy that is dating 3-5 women a week, as long as he is being upfront about it, and the women involved know what they are getting at the end. Their are females version too, that have FWBs

I hear people all the time saying "I can't go to the restaurant/movies by myself"
                    Being with 3-5 women a week is not necessarily being with FWB's. There is nothing wrong with having a fwb. A FWB can contribute greatly to your mental well being. As long as as both parties involved are in agreance. Especially after you first split...I don't think anyone wants to jump into a relationship after that. I know I certainly didn't. I enjoyed my fwb greatly. We hung out, we went out, went away over night, did the deed etc.

As Oink said, who cares if there are 3-5 as long as all parties are honest. I think its just as common in women as it is men. I think any man or woman who said they would never do that, might be kidding themselves. If the opportunity presented itself and they were capable of it, I think most of us would.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X