Study shows how child support guidelines punish those who pay support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janus View Post
    You responded to a thread from 6 years ago.

And your idea is moronic. It is like those stupid gas boycotts. You get change by being politically active, not some convoluted scheme to take down FRO that would be completely ineffective.

But I thought after we took down FRO we were gonna raid Area 51.....

Comment

FRO sends automatic enforcement notice after 60 days of no payment. If all support payer stopped paying at once for 60 day, that sure as hell would be a lot of notices and tick off a lot lot people working for FRO as well as support recipients but sure as hell won't change guidelines amounts. we're not teachers under a union that can just abandon children and refuse to teach until things are fair.

what we need to do is what I did. withdraw from FRO and never agree to use FRO. this way, when your income and circumstances change, you adjust accordingly without having to overpay, ask your ex/file for motions to pay the correct amount.

If you are in shared custody, child support will be based on a setoff(generally lower or zero or her paying you) amount. you will also be entitled to child tax benefits and other benefits. For example, OSAP considers parents with 50.50 as sole dependents... and they will pay you extra money while you study.

child support isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are a 50.50 parent... if you're not... yeah... it's pretty much cash for life OLG ticket for your ex.

as a dad who was full support player and now ordered by the courts to NOT pay any child support, I can confirm the amounts for child support are pulled out of people's whazoos. I have never in any month that I've had my kid 50.50, came even close to spending half of what I used to pay in support to raise my kid. and that includes eating out twice week and hitting up the theatres once or twice a month.. though expenses of this nature aren't even intended to be a childs basic needs.

Yes, there's an argument it's for rent for mom to accommodate extra bedroom.. but doesn't dad also need to accommodate extra bedroom for when the kids is with him?
      Last edited by tunnelight; 08-03-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
        what we need to do is what I did. withdraw from FRO and never agree to use FRO.
        For obvious reasons, you only need one party to consent to the use of FRO. Otherwise, almost no payors would ever consent to use it.

Comment

For obvious reasons, you only need one party to consent to the use of FRO. Otherwise, almost no payors would ever consent to use it.
          Nor they should. What they should do is voluntarily pay the correct amount and offer it on a final basis. if ex wants to move forward to a hearing on the sole issue of whether or not it should be enforced through FRO.. let them be your guest.

Served my order terminating my child support and withdrawing from FRO to case contact with such joy and relief. You have no idea. e-transfers are my new FRO once I am working again (IF I end up earning more than her) EX won't find a lawyer to file a motion for it just to be enforced through FRO. Heck she couldn't even find a lawyer to help her try and prove me intentionally unemployed after her 2nd lawyer canned her. Maybe after she pays off what she still owes her first lawyer... but that's not my problem really..
          Last edited by tunnelight; 08-03-2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

You don’t have to file a motion to have CS enforced by FRO. If you have an Order or an Agreement filed with the court all one party has to do is file the paperwork with FRO and pay the $50 re-instatement fee to get enforcement. Even if a motion is needed to change CS amounts it is pretty simple and doesn’t require a lawyer.

Comment

... FRO suspends drivers' licenses and passports... garnishees wages, government funds (EI, CPP) and in some cases direct from bank accounts.....

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
                if ex wants to move forward to a hearing on the sole issue of whether or not it should be enforced through FRO.. let them be your guest.
                No hearing required. If your order is registered with the court, it can be enforced by FRO.

e-transfers are my new FRO once I am working again
                Assuming recipient agrees, any form of payment works. If recipient does not agree, she can ask FRO to enforce and your etransfers will now go to FRO instead of directly to the recipient.

EX won't find a lawyer to file a motion for it just to be enforced through FRO.
                It's not a motion. It is possible that your ex is clueless which would be a good thing for you, but your ideas on how FRO works are mostly incorrect.

Heck she couldn't even find a lawyer to help her try and prove me intentionally unemployed after her 2nd lawyer canned her.
                Two separate issues:

1) Inputting income

That's a motion. If she wants to prove that you are intentionally unemployed she would need a judge to agree to that one. She does not necessarily need a lawyer

2) Hard for her to get a lawyer

As you said, not your problem

Either way, neither issue has anything to do with FRO

Comment

We already had a motion on the issue of imputing income to me, in which she unsuccessfully self represented.

Assuming recipient agrees, any form of payment works. If recipient does not agree, she can ask FRO to enforce and your etransfers will now go to FRO instead of directly to the recipient
                  FRO can't do anything because the court order they have for us states no child support payable by either party. (Thanks to SHARED CUSTODY)
                  Last edited by tunnelight; 08-09-2019, 02:45 AM.

Comment

For me, when our daughter lived with my ex I paid on time, if not early every single time.
                    2.5 years ago, custody changed and no order for support was drawn up. in January on a settlement conference we settled the case and my ex and I agreed to a lower amount of CS monthly so that I didn't have to fight. I filed with FRO because I knew she would never pay. To date she has not paid, FRO has a federal garnishment which means that I get bits and pieces of money here and there, nothing close to the amount of CS that is ordered. I found out that Ontario Works (welfare) and Disability are not garnished from FRO, they can take everything else but not those 2. So while she goes further into debt each month, I do not have to chase her around for it. I had a good laugh with the worker as after our daughter finishes school if my ex does not pay she will still owe that debt, and if she stays on Ontario Works or disability they probably will not be able to collect until my ex goes to collect old age pension, so fingers crossed that we both make it that long. Might make for a good downpayment for our daughter to buy a house lol.

Comment

At some point in time your ex should lose her drivers' license and passport. Then you might see some activity.

If your ex has never worked then she won't get CPP.

People like your ex are drag on society. Keep tabs on her though - she's likely to work under-the-table at some point and bank accounts can be garnished. Ask FRO when they go after the drivers' license. If she doesn't work she doesn't need one.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                        At some point in time your ex should lose her drivers' license and passport. Then you might see some activity.

If your ex has never worked then she won't get CPP.

People like your ex are drag on society. Keep tabs on her though - she's likely to work under-the-table at some point and bank accounts can be garnished. Ask FRO when they go after the drivers' license. If she doesn't work she doesn't need one.
                        Fairly confident she does not have a license (doesnt stop her from driving). FRO said they can only passively go after her because she is on Ontario Works or Disability. So they can only do a federal garnishment for now, and not take further enforcement action... I forgot about her likely not getting CPP..... I was really hoping for that day and figured I was just playing the long game lol.

Comment

Usually one of the first things maintenance enforcement agencies put into place is a personal property registry. Make sure that is on file. Ex buys a car and then tries to dispose of it... it can be payday for you.

You never know. People get lazy and complacent. Tax return refunds and provincial tax incentives. You won't get rich but can be assured she will be pissed that she doesn't get it.

I don't get these people who have kids and then don't contribute to their upbringing.

Comment

Usually one of the first things maintenance enforcement agencies put into place is a personal property registry. Make sure that is on file. Ex buys a car and then tries to dispose of it... it can be payday for you.

You never know. People get lazy and complacent. Tax return refunds and provincial tax incentives. You won't get rich but can be assured she will be pissed that she doesn't get it.

I don't get these people who have kids and then don't contribute to their upbringing.
                            What is the worst/mildly humorous (if I can't laugh what am I doing in this world) is that when the roles were reversed, she demanded child support early and held it over my head and denied access if it was not several days before it was due (I was never late, not once and paid full table amount). When the roles are reversed, she hates the idea of paying so badly.
                            I will check into the personal property registry. She always seems to use other peoples vehicles but you never know. I have a suspicion that many creditors are after her. When I got the small amount from her doing her tax return, I know she would have been so upset.

Comment

Ex buys a car and then tries to dispose of it... it can be payday for you.
                              Ex buys car under boyfriends name. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by canadamama View Post
                                Just went back and had another look - one of the determinants that this "study" uses to make its Fair/Unfair assessment is, "Does the child result in a financial profit or loss to the parent?"

I am sorry I cannot take this seriously at ALL.
                                Because it doesn't suit you and your agenda. Like a lot of mothers (thank G-d not all) you like your gravy train.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X