X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False DV Charge Consequences

Look what I stumbled across:
    False claims, 26-month sentence | Local | News | The Kingston Whig-Standard
    Perpetrators of false domestic violence claims CAN be criminally convicted and receive a serious sentence. Wow.

Reading the story, there are many factors that played into her sentence. It was her 2nd "public mischief" occurance already, and she was also charged with impaired driving, which I bet, probably accounted for a lot of the sentence-time.

I'd like to see this kind of sentence, for a straight "falsely accused, domestic violence" type of situation. Glad she got nailed though.

Comment

If someone comes across the caselaw, please post it.

Comment

i did quite a bit of search on canlii, cant find the case :s

Comment

I think only lawyers have access to case law databases for criminal cases. Looks like OrleansLawyer will be the only one able to win your prize!

As for this case itself, it broke down to two years for the mischief and two months for the impaired driving.

And I don't think that the ex-boyfriend sounds all that law-abiding himself, but nobody deserves to be in jail for a couple of months for no valid reason. Kind of sad that the restitution ordered was to go to the police for their expenses, and not include any compensation for the innocent man's troubles and legal fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            I think only lawyers have access to case law databases for criminal cases. Looks like OrleansLawyer will be the only one able to win your prize!
            actually thats not the case there are a ton of criminal cases on canlii, i just pulled this up with a tiny search.

CanLII - 2000 BCSC 1506 (CanLII)

I am not sure what criteria is used to post cases on canlii but there should be a way to request them to do so.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X