X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorcing a ghost!

Hello everyone.
    I am trying to find out how to marry my common law wife of 25 years.The problem is that I married an American student while we were both in college, it was for financial reasons as it let her work here while being a student. After finishing college we parted ways and I although I know she left Toronto we haven't kept in touch since. My question is how do I go about getting a divorce in order to marry my common law partner? Any help would be welcome.
    Thanks

You'd file for an ex-parte divorce. You'd have to provide proof that you had attempted to locate her to serve her and were unable to.

Comment

Is this a process best suited for a lawyer or could a layman try to get it done?
      Thanks

Comment

You should be able to do it yourself since there will be no negotiationg or settlement to arrange.

Comment

Maybe try and locate her. If you PM me her name and age and any info you have about her I can try and locate her with some internet searches for you. I went to school as a private investigator and I don't mind helping.

Comment

That's extremely generous but I am now a bit anxious as I have heard through a very indirect source that she may have married someone in Alaska without a divorce! I suppose I really need to find her now. I'm betting this isn't a good development if it's true!

Comment

That shouldn't affect you at all. If that was indeed the case then she'll be the one with the issue, not you. She may have also done the same thing and filed ex-parte if she couldn't locate you - you may be divorced already but just don't knnow it yet!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X