This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mainsqueeze View Post
    Thank You for responding , there is a place here in Ottawa but everything goes to Toronto so no their's not. I did get a purple paper in Oct, thinking ok I have a 99% chance of getting it, but when I called again and gave the reason and all I got a letter saying I was refused. They know what it says on their website and they told me that's if there was violence ... to me I just don't think it's very fair.
    Why should the people of Ontario foot the bill for you to get money out of your ex spouse? I am all fo footing the bill to make sure children are taken care of by both parents, but see no reason why you should be helped, as I suspect you are an adult capable of working.

As for victims of abuse, I'm sure there are much more strict rules to getting legal aid then just getting hit. They dont just give legal aid to any abuse victim, they usually have to meet or be close to their low income level, have children, and have no access to any of the marital assets because they are living in a women's shelter. And I bet that itself isnt always enough. Before you cry "no fair" you should look at what you are complaining about. I for one am more than willing to help out these victims, as they are often the most grateful for the help., and genuinely have nowhere else to turn.

Comment

Actually, many of the Ontario SIU investigators are ex-cops, as many of their forensic personnel used to work for the police. This was promulgated in a 2008 Ombudsman's report and W-5 covered it as well.

Although you are correct that they are not cops, they still may be not impartial - the main focus of the W-5 program in 2011.

Originally posted by walshch View Post
      Kenny..The SIU are not 'cops'. They are civilian oversight agency of police services created by the Ontario government so it wouldn't be 'cops policing cops.'

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
        Why should the people of Ontario foot the bill for you to get money out of your ex spouse? I am all fo footing the bill to make sure children are taken care of by both parents, but see no reason why you should be helped, as I suspect you are an adult capable of working.
        Hey Billie... I was just about to say the same thing!!

I agree that legal assistance should be available to those who sincerely cannot afford it and are seeking to obtain support for minor children...

To mainsqueeze... If you feel you are entitled to spousal support and you cannot afford a Lawyer... do what the rest of us do... Research, plan, prepare and represent yourself.

Good Luck!!

Comment

Thank you and yes looks like that's just what I will be doing. I appreciate all the good feedback I've got here so far, ty

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X