Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:38 AM

OB1 is on a distinguished road
Default Counter offers

I’ve recently counter-offered an offer my ex had sent me. From my understanding she will not be accepting it. She will want more SS and most likely a bigger settlement. There’s no way I can afford more. Therefore, I may have to go to court. What are the next processes? I have been separated over 15 years and she doesn’t seem to want to settle unless she gets a ridiculous amount of money.
I may have to go over all my Financials from 15 years ago. Would interest be added? Also, would I be able to counter offer her counter offer? I’m not sure what else to do. This as to be the most greedy, vindictive person I’ve ever met in my life. It’s a shame because we have children together. I see how much they have suffered all these years seeing this. They are both adults now fortunately
Old 02-01-2022, 11:00 AM
Banned

pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Going back 15 years you say. Asking the forum here. Can they do that?
Old 02-01-2022, 12:59 PM

She originally served me over 15 years ago. Every time we tried to settle she would just not accept it. Alway wanting more. Even when we went to mediation and came up with a settlement she changed her mind again after showing her lawyer
Old 02-01-2022, 01:18 PM
Banned

pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have had lawyers do that to me....I call them for one thing and they say "hey I can get you out this other thing where you are paying X piddly amount when I know they did not have enough information to say that" Scumbags.

Your ex sounds a bit difficult too, she doesn't have to listen to the lawyer. Interest may be added. She wants to compound it daily, right?
Someone else here will have a better opinion for you.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:13 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkHouses View Post
Going back 15 years you say. Asking the forum here. Can they do that?
I do not believe there is a limitations period for spousal support.

I am pretty sure that equalization has a limitations period. I felt it was less than 5 years, but I could be wrong. Certainly not 15 years.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:29 AM

DHTO is on a distinguished road

Not a lawyer, but I believe unless there was bad behaviour on your part (i.e. fraudulently representing income, intentionally moving assets), 3 years is the max that they will go back for retroactive spousal support.

At this point it becomes an issue of why does your ex need spousal support if she's survived for 15 years on her own without it? It would be a windfall for her.

Equalization is 6 years after separation, 2 years after divorce, unless the judge overrides it.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:00 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
I do not believe there is a limitations period for spousal support.
There is. I posted it. Its like 7 years or something... I posted about it years ago with the case law. I just can't seem to find it now as I don't pay much attention to SS.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:24 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

A limit on retroactive or prospective SS? Or both?
Old 02-03-2022, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. Has anyone done multiple counteroffers?
I will ask my lawyer about the 6 year limit, although I don’t think it applies to me since there was a court order from her original lawyer for cross examination, which they never proceeded with. It’s been at least 10 years. Also, she did ask for SS support when I originally got served over 15 years ago but we never agreed to anything Permanent. I have offered her it in my most recent offer. I’m still waiting for her response. Although, I have heard she wants more.
I don’t want to break free without paying anything, although I don’t want to be financially destroyed. I wonder after all these years if she’s even entitled.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:33 AM

StillPaying has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I seriously doubt you'll find a judge who cares - 15 years later. Might as well just ignore everything moving forward. Hard to be sympathetic about breaking free without paying after 15 years.