Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S7, post-secondary or none?

Thought I'd see what you guys think...

University application fee. Normally $120 but tripled because kid wasnt in school. Lawyer says no expense b/c moms salary + cs is over $100g. Mom says S7 because every expense is S7 (prom tickets anyone?) dad is willing to give it to post secondary so kid is somewhat responsible.

Thoughts?

It's a S7 expense. But not extraordinary. So it doesn't need to be reimbursed. However I analyse that on its own. Perhaps if the child had other enormous expenses it would be extraordinary.

Comment

It sounds like a legitimate s7 expense to me. It's directly related to postsecondary education, and it's necessary (kid can't go to university if she doesn't apply), unlike room tickets. $360 is a substantial amount of money at any income level so it's not like it's just a couple of dollars. I'd pay a proportionate share of it, once you have a receipt.

Comment

Hes going to throw it all in with post secondary costs. Mom and kid dont get that kid has to be responsible for school costs. The cost increased $240 as a result of kids decision. Which he didnt agree with from the beginning but he doesnt get a say in that. FRO considers it a post secondary expense and rejected it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          ...Hes going to throw it all in with post secondary costs...

...FRO considers it a post secondary expense and rejected it...
          I would think it's just part of post-secondary costs, but post-secondary costs are section 7. Isn't your partner paying either way?

Comment

S7, post-secondary or none?

Post secondary costs are subject to contribution by the child and are split out from s7 in their agreement. Mom filed it with other proper s7 expenses with FRO. When he discussed this with his caseworker (one of the s7 expenses wasnt calculated properly as per the written agreement for the expense) she pointed out the education expense and that they were rejecting it as such. Hes been told by FRO they cant accept any post secondary expenses because the wording in the agreement isnt clear enough for them. They need actual numbers for recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              ...Post secondary costs are subject to contribution by the child and are split out from s7 in their agreement...
              Seems like the only person who disagrees with the "kind" of expense it is, is your partner's ex then. :-) I think your ex is right to include it as post-secondary category, of section 7 expense. FRO agrees with him.

Comment

Rather than start a new thread Im going to bump this one...

Partner learned yesterday that reason ex hasnt provided receipts for school expenses is because there still is no agreement on their responsibility of the costs. Know that this person does not agree with the law, doesnt care what the courts say, and has been bitching about the decision of the judge in their final settlement for years. Partners response was that he will follow the law on all expenses so either provide the receipts to finalize or be broke (not in those words or course).

It made him wonder though about what he will get for receipts. Does anyone have a kid in post secondary who receives OSAP and was possibly eligible for the 30% off tuition (ONTARIO) and what the receipts should look like? This is more for money that would come off the total before the splits. I know what it looked like a million years ago when I was in school but now its all electronic not carbon paper and stone tablets

Any thoughts, advice etc. would be appreciated. At this point we're pretty sure this school payment issue will go back to being ignored because mom and kid think dad should cough up half the full cost of school even though his % of S7 is less than 25%.

And yes I have several members "voices" in my head saying no receipts no payments but dad is getting sick of the bad mouthing from mom and kids about how hes a deadbeat and they hate him. Hes ready to write the cheque, he needs the receipts to do so.

Comment

Write one last email stating your intentions to pay upon full disclosure of all receipts. Its a game. If she wants to pursue this in court she will. If she wants to provide receipts she will. She hasn't. In doing both the above it eliminates the potential point of conflicts.

Ya know, my hubbies ex refused to pay for their join insurance policy for 3.5 years. My hubby paid it faithfully despite clear wording that she was to share the monthly costs. She bitched each time we reminded her to pay her share...she protested it wasn't fair....she said she'd never pay it blah blah...it was one of the first things she agreed to pay for the next 3 years because she hadn't in years past. It was merely an avenue to piss my hubby off. It didn't really piss him off but whatever.

My point is - you make a reasonable effort and then you let it go. Or you pursue a legal action to force the issue to come to a resolution.

Comment

Send the ex an email, cc the kid (as I know the kid has been difficult as well - the "child" is over 18 and involved in the decision making process).

State that he is ready and willing to pay for his proportional share of the child's education, but requires the receipts to do so. That he understands his obligations according to the order and wants to help. But without receipts, his hands are tied. Once they get him receipts, he will forward the funds ASAP. Should they need assistance with getting the receipts, he is more than willing to assist.

It shows he is willing and ready to contribute, but they must produce evidence of the cost. It isn't rocket science for the ex and it is strange that the ex thinks he should simply take her word on it...I mean, they are divorced for a reason you know.....

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                      It shows he is willing and ready to contribute, but they must produce evidence of the cost. It isn't rocket science for the ex and it is strange that the ex thinks he should simply take her word on it...I mean, they are divorced for a reason you know.....

Many many MANY reasons...

Yep, his response was it. Hes made several reasonable requests to pay his portion. Not agreeing to how the law breaks it down isnt an excuse. It would almost be worth the trip to court to have her schooled yet again by a judge on what is law.

Comment

Request OSAP information. The OSAP and grant (30%) will show. This info will NOT be on the tuition receipt.

Keep requesting all information via email (so you have proof that you requested). Don't pay anything until you receive ALL required documentation.

Comment

S7, post-secondary or none?

We got some movement on this. Partner got an email rambling on about the expenses but no actual receipts. She also made a comment about them getting some sort of loan together to pay for the expenses! Plus she doesnt think kid should have to pay 1/3, thinks it should be 1/16 of the full costs even though theyre so high because kid went away! He just responded asking for all the receipts. Hes walking around trying to understand why suddenly shes agreeing with all the costs he proposed last summer but not really agreeing with the split of the costs themselves. Oh and of course the mumbling "my kids are never going to speak to me again because Im not signing a blank cheque".

Comment

Heres a question: the 30% off tuition that the Ontario government awards to students that are eligible...is that considered a "grant" and the kids portion of the expense or does that come off the tuition costs for the full total calculation? For instance the whole cost of school is say $10,000, 30% comes off to make the cost say $9000. That is then split between parties. (Ignoring the tax rebates and any other costs that are used for the full cost). Split would then be 1/3 to kid and 2/3 to parents to split. I dont understand how the new 30% tuition thing comes in. On the OSAP estimator its not called a grant its specifically called the 30% off tuition and kids are eligible based on theirs and parents income.

Comment

It's 30% off. Our daughter paid $9,000 and a couple of months later received an email stating the 30% off and showed a balance owing of $6,000 (plus accrued interest).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X