Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:18 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Any advice on what KKC (and others) can do regarding grandparents who over-insert themselves in the affairs of parents? Where you are aware that grandparents are petty and bashing the other parent, yet claim that they love their grandchildren dearly? Completely oblivious that when you speak poorly about a parent, it seriously impacts the children, yet the grandparents feel invincible because its not their court matter, etc.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:45 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
Any advice on what KKC (and others) can do regarding grandparents who over-insert themselves in the affairs of parents? Where you are aware that grandparents are petty and bashing the other parent, yet claim that they love their grandchildren dearly? Completely oblivious that when you speak poorly about a parent, it seriously impacts the children, yet the grandparents feel invincible because its not their court matter, etc.

They follow the rule of I love my grandchildren but hate my childs ex more. There really isnt much you can do other than ignore them and redirect your kids. The good news is they wont be around forever. The bad news is some of them have a lot of influence over the kids. If you have a lot of time with your kids you can redirect them accordingly.

My husbands ex mother in law wielded a lot of power and it was truly shameful what she did. Unfortunately it was something she had done before the split so he had no power throughout the marriage. His ex refused to take responsibility and separate herself from her mother.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Banned

pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brampton33 View Post
Thread hijacking in place.
There will be a people that will say something "you can't do anything about it, let the kids grow up and decide for themselves" and that isn't true. Maybe they couldn't do anything about it but in many cases you can.

If you create a new thread I will throw my 2 cents in.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:55 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkHouses View Post
Thread hijacking in place.....If you create a new thread I will throw my 2 cents in.
I respectfully disagree. The topic of this thread is problematic grandparents (ie: intrusive, not respectful of roles/boundaries, conflict drivers, meddlesome). KKC started this thread seeking advice/input on the topic, using an example of the nuisance he experienced with technology tracking. So although the crux of the conversation is about technology tracking, the underlying theme of the issue is the problematic grandparents. A matter which I too face and am curious to the forum's thoughts.

There is no need to start a new thread: The theme of the thread is problematic grandparents. If everyone had to start their own threads, rather than build upon existing threads, the site would have 1,000,000 threads and be impossible to navigate for those searching info/advice.

Last edited by Brampton33; 05-18-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:02 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

You cant spend your life battling everyone that comes along or taking everyone to court. Some things can be ignored. Taykens plan was quite effective and would work. Kids dont like conflict and if it is constant conflict everywhere they go, it turns them to just staying in the place where there is less conflict. If the rule at dads house is all tracking goes off and the phones switch then its a simple solution.

You dont have to attend every battle you are invited to. Spend your energy loving your kids rather than hating their grandparents. They will see the difference.