How the case conference went

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
    So if Child Support is for the child why is it based on income. Technically it costs the same to raise a child regardless of parental income. Why should some children get $1500 per month,and others get $250?
    The supposed reason is that it is meant to ensure that the children enjoy similar standards of living at both houses.

Oh, and this:

"If he moves in with his Dad, there won't be any moving back because I'll have to sell the house -- I can't afford it without any extra financial help. No help = no home.
    So yeah, I'm scared. I also really don't see it working out well for anybody. If I could, then I wouldn't be so upset."

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...morning-18332/

Comment

• Originally posted by Straittohell View Post
      The supposed reason is that it is meant to ensure that the children enjoy similar standards of living at both houses.

Oh, and this:

"If he moves in with his Dad, there won't be any moving back because I'll have to sell the house -- I can't afford it without any extra financial help. No help = no home.
      So yeah, I'm scared. I also really don't see it working out well for anybody. If I could, then I wouldn't be so upset."

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...morning-18332/
      In my household, child support makes or breaks everything.

I was a SAHM for 10 years while ex was in school. As soon as we separated, I went back to work in my field. As an ECE, making $32,000 a year with benefits is a good job.

Now that ex's residency is finished, he may make $280,000 or more next year. He will, of course, hide much of that behind his corporation. He might pay $2,400 a month child support on the actual income.

So, if my children lived with him, their standard of living would be much higher.

My household will be around $60,000 including CS. Imagine if there was no child support how incredibly big the disparity between standards of living would be.

I do think table child support is unfair when the custodial parent makes more money than the non custodial.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mother View Post
        LOL it is! ……… [/I]

[

My point is this: the fact that women predominantly are getting sole custody (~80%) shows that they get it based on their thirst for money and control (not all and not always and I never said all and always). But I can repeat myself: I do not believe for one nanosecond that out of 100% of the divorced parents in Canada, mothers are better parents than the fathers in 80% of the cases. Then why are they fighting for AND getting 80% of sole custodies? Numbers don't lie!

[FONT=Tahoma[/FONT]
        Maybe numbers don't lie - but if you cherry-pick your numbers, you end up with a misleading picture. I think that you're referring to the most recent Stats Can report on child custody and support, to which I provided a link earlier. You're right, the report does say that "In 2011, seven in ten separated or divorced parents indicated that the child lived primarily with his or her mother. Another 15% indicated that the child mainly lived with the father, while 9% reported equal living time between the two parents’ homes". However, there's no evidence that this came about because mothers are fighting tooth and nail for sole custody.

In fact, if you read the report (and that's the thing with research, you have to actually read it, not just skim for numbers that you like) you find that three-quarters of all parents surveyed indicated that they were satisfied with the frequency and duration of time spent with their children. That includes residential and non-residential parents. In general, the more time non-residential parents spent with their children, the more likely they were to report that they were satisfied.

The report also found that only 36% had their residency arrangements determined by a judge or court - in other words, nearly two-thirds of divorcing parents come to an agreement on their own, without getting into the court system.

So there's no evidence that there's a massive number of fathers who are distressed by being denied custody of their children. Primary residence with Mom is the most common arrangements. However, most parents (male and female) agree on residency arrangements without going to court, and most (male and female) are satisfied with the results. Certainly there's a significant minority who are not satisfied, but we aren't talking a massive social problem here.

Comment

• Originally posted by wantmyfreedom View Post
          These numbers don't reflect the motives behind custody decisions.

Child support is for children. Child support is not for mothers.

Not even seeing the point to this ridiculous assumption that custody decisions are based on greed. The courts certainly don't put the mother's needs ahead of the children's. That's a fact.
          I feel soooo sorry for your ex husband and that's the last thing I will tell you. If you call me "pathetic" or something to this effect once again, I will report you to the owner of this site. Have a nice life.

Comment

• hhhhmmm.......and how is this personal attack relevant to this thread???

Comment

• Originally posted by twokids View Post
              Case conference was a total waste of time.

The judge would not tell his opinion on any of our issues today because he may be our trial judge.
              I am pretty sure that the case management judge is ineligible to be the trial judge.

Comment

• Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
                In my household, child support makes or breaks everything.

I was a SAHM for 10 years while ex was in school. As soon as we separated, I went back to work in my field. As an ECE, making $32,000 a year with benefits is a good job.

Now that ex's residency is finished, he may make $280,000 or more next year. He will, of course, hide much of that behind his corporation. He might pay $2,400 a month child support on the actual income.

So, if my children lived with him, their standard of living would be much higher.

My household will be around $60,000 including CS. Imagine if there was no child support how incredibly big the disparity between standards of living would be.

I do think table child support is unfair when the custodial parent makes more money than the non custodial.
                Its funny you quoted his gross annual income to show rich he is and then used the net monthly income to show how little you get. Bias no?

Child support is 30% of your net income that mom does whatever she wantz with.

Who cares if there is a disparity?

Also you were prob a SAHM because your income potentiial was limited compared to your ex .

Financially, the beet decision you have ever made is marrying a doctor and keeping his children. Child support is more money than you earn and you are going to takr that money pay a mortgage which will eventually end up being a net benefit to you.

Child support is privatized welfare for moms.

Comment

• Putting someone through medical school and being married to an on-call resident while raising children is no small feat. Kudos to SadandTired - she deserves every cent and then more.

Just sayin...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X