Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods on paying child support

Hi everyone...hope you are all well and having a nice week

I`ve been paying support with a bank draft and the mother has asked if we can do email bank transfer payments or bank transfers....I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this and what is the best way to pay so there is a paper trail and at the same time maybe a speedier process. I mail the payments on time but she does not like that method as she says the postal service in her area is not daily and there is the extra step for her of having to travel to the bank to deposit the money....I can see her point if I can make it more convenient and remove the extra steps...

Thanks

Have a nice day

My husband paid his ex for years with EMT's and worked great ... There is a spot where you can add a note and he'd put "CS for ___" in that spot and then when the page came up with the confirmation number he'd print the page and file it away. Never had an issue.

Comment

I agree, I think EMT is a much better method than post.

The few times my ex paid CS he paid by EMT, he got an email and I got an email, there's a place to put a comment on what the money is for.
      It leaves a perfect paper trail in my opinion.

Comment

Nothing wrong with electronic transfer. There may be a small fee, but given the paper trail provided, it is worth it.

I pay buy cheque, which I find is a huge hassle. I cut about 6-7 post dated cheques at a time, and then have to worry that the ex doesn't cash them all (as post dated really doesn't mean they can't be cashed early). I also constantly have to remember to have some with me as, between c/s and my kids activities, I am constantly being asked for money.....

Comment

EMT does not provide sufficient info for CRA if you are audited. We were just audited and it cost us $120 in bank fees to get the required information on a receipt for CRA. Just an FYI.

I realize the recipient might not be happy with method used. But it is your right to use the method you prefer providing it is paid on time. If you use EMT I suggest you have an agreement she fax or scan you an itemized receipt to fulfill CRA info in the event you are audited upon receipt of transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
            EMT does not provide sufficient info for CRA if you are audited. We were just audited and it cost us $120 in bank fees to get the required information on a receipt for CRA. Just an FYI.

What did the bank give you for proof?

Comment

We had to pay for a "special report". It took 2 weeks and cost too much money. It had to contain name of recipient, date received, amongst other info.

One of the issues is that the receipt for an EMT, at least with our bank, does not show name of recipient. And less information is available after 18 months if you try and pull it up online.

Comment

Serene,

I know with RBC when she accepts it tells me the following.

To :
                Me
                RBC Royal Bank
                Subject :
                FYI: INTERAC e-Transfer to My Ex's name accepted

The INTERAC e-Transfer for $1111111.53 (CAD) you sent to My Ex's name was accepted. The transfer is now complete.

Would this be suffice for the audit, I copy and past on a word document and save it on my hard drive with the date and month of payment and acceptance.

If they are looking for more info would you be able to advise us what else they might require????

Cheers

Comment

I will look up what is needed this weekend and get back to you.

Comment

Thanks Serene,

I do not want to get screwed as I have been screwed so far.

Cheers

Comment

Does your ex use the same bank as you? Or could you set up an account for her at the same bank? My ex and I both use TDCanadatrust - I have his account set up as the payee for automatic bill payment (just like I have utilities set up). Money transfers out of my account and into his on the first business day of each month, without me having to do anything. He appears on my bank records as "Date - Bill payment - personal payee - Ex's Name and bank account number - $xxx.xx". See if you can create your ex as a "personal payee".

Comment

I was audited and the trail I printed out about the EMT was sufficient.
                        EMT costs $2, well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck1965 View Post
                          Serene,

I know with RBC when she accepts it tells me the following.

To :
                          Me
                          RBC Royal Bank
                          Subject :
                          FYI: INTERAC e-Transfer to My Ex's name accepted

The INTERAC e-Transfer for $1111111.53 (CAD) you sent to My Ex's name was accepted. The transfer is now complete.

Would this be suffice for the audit, I copy and past on a word document and save it on my hard drive with the date and month of payment and acceptance.

If they are looking for more info would you be able to advise us what else they might require????

Cheers
                          Ours is very similar (we are with BMO & husbands's ex is with RBC). Never had an issue with Rev. Canada (or the FRO) as I put in the "memo field" of the EMT what it's for (ie. CS for ___ or Ski Pass for ___)

Comment

I might have misled you - hubby was depositing money into her account (one RBC client to another) electronically (not an EMT) until FRO took over. That did not provide a receipt we could use.

And then we paid FRO as a bill payment from our account. That also did not provide a receipt with sufficient info that FRO would accept.

Sorry, I confused things. So yes, your EMT should work. Just be sure to keep the receipts. As over time you can't access them yourself.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X