section 7 examples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• section 7 examples?

I am wondering if the activities my kids do would qualify as section 7 or not. My daughter takes ballet twice a week (hour classes) at a school she had to audition for. My other son takes gymnastics once a week. There are also assorted swimming classes with the local city program etc. These things seem like quite routine child expenses to me and I would rather not pay for them if they are already included in the child support calculations (which my reading of the law seems to suggest). However, I have paid for them sometimes (not all if the time) in the past. Any thoughts?

Some of these activities were included in an interim agreement we are replacing with a final agreement if that makes any difference.

It would depend on your income and your exes' income, and amount of CS/SS paid.

Generally speaking, I don't believe those would be considered S.7 expenses.
    But every situation is different, if the other parent is in a low income/welfare/disability/etc type of income situation, and your income is high, then these could very well be considered s.7.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this has been my understanding, both from research and from other threads here

Comment

Thanks. We are just trying to figure out how much she makes now. It seems to me that she likely would be imputed with an income of around 40K to 60K (25K is on line 150 but she writes off a *lot* of stuff as she has a business). I make about 120K.

I pay table amounts of child support, and we are reviewing spousal to see if she would still get that (I paid 5 years so far for an 13 year marriage, so likely she will get a few more years, not 100% sure).

Comment

Originally posted by ross_toronto View Post
        Thanks. We are just trying to figure out how much she makes now. It seems to me that she likely would be imputed with an income of around 40K to 60K (25K is on line 150 but she writes off a *lot* of stuff as she has a business). I make about 120K.

I pay table amounts of child support, and we are reviewing spousal to see if she would still get that (I paid 5 years so far for an 13 year marriage, so likely she will get a few more years, not 100% sure).
        Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in your situation you're going to be paying your proportionate share of these expenses.

Comment

It really comes down to:

a. cost of the activity vs the income of the parents; and
          b. the need for the activity.

Just because it is extracurricular doesn't mean it is extraordinary. But without the cost of the activities, it is hard to tell if they would be s7. If they cost $200-$300 annually, they are likely no s7. If they cost $1k+ annually, they maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
            It really comes down to:

a. cost of the activity vs the income of the parents; and
            b. the need for the activity.

Just because it is extracurricular doesn't mean it is extraordinary. But without the cost of the activities, it is hard to tell if they would be s7. If they cost $200-$300 annually, they are likely no s7. If they cost $1k+ annually, they maybe.
            Thanks everyone. . . The ballet is about $2K to 3K per year with everything. . . gymnastics is about $700. . .everything else is a couple of hundred tops.

Comment

Ballet likely would be s7, simply given the cost. Although, that is REALLY expensive for ballet. My kid is in dance, and when she was in recreational ballet, it cost maybe $800 annually. $2k-$3k is getting closer to what competitive dance costs.

$700 annually is less than $80 monthly, so your c/s would likely cover it. Same goes with everything cheaper.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X