This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what constitutes extra expenses for university

I have an existing court order which includes extra expenses for post secondary education for my son.
    My ex has to pay 2/3rd of expenses including tutition, books and residence exp. He has paid his portion of a computer laptop, residence costs and a meal plan. We have not yet incurred the costs of his books.
    I have incurred expenses on my own to set up my son in his dorm, including bedding, miscellaneous small items such as toaster, microwave, fridge rental for his room, kettle. As well I have purchased items necessary for personal grooming and comfort. These are not excessive expenses and amount to approx $1000 for this year. I Have also bought groceries as he is 4 blocks from campus and I do not want him walking late at night if he is hungry and the campus is closed.
    My ex will not contribute to these expenses.
    My son has fulfilled his obligation of $2500 towards his education this year.
    I may mention that we "settled" on his income at $150k, in order that I not bear continuing and exhaustive legal costs. He has the means to contribute bearing in mind his gross income is far more than the $150k settled on.
    Should I have to bear the cost myself?
    Are these expenses considered reasonable and should they be shared.
    He only pays an adjusted child support for 4 months upon commencement of my sons university.
    If this is to be a shared expense, how do I enforce this without bearing huge legal costs.
    ctchmeifucan
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X