Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:23 PM

goblue is on a distinguished road

We settled!

I think I got beat up for the most part. But I can live with it given I'm getting my daughter 24/30 days per month during school year and avoid the costs and uncertainty of trial. Just have to be the best parent I can.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:41 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

What was the final agreement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
What was the final agreement?

During school year, she gets 3 weekends per month. During summer, I get a week plus a weekend in July and August. I get 5 days during Christmas break, alternating the holiday each year. I had to fight for 5 days unnecessarily in my opinion. Drop off and pick up is in Sudbury. A few people I trust actually stepped up and offered to drive the Friday, which helped me accept this. No Child Support, but I'm taking the route of perhaps adding it later. Or the judge can reject it and we add it in.

There was a couple of other really annoying and petty things in there, like the scheduling upcoming christmas, birthday, and easter with the mom when she just got to have all three this past year. But I just said eff it, I have what's important and I'll make the most of it.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:02 PM

But uh... huge thank you to everyone who contributed. Absolutely helped me. I can see being back in the future lol, but at least this chapter appears to be done.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:57 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue View Post
During school year, she gets 3 weekends per month. During summer, I get a week plus a weekend in July and August. I get 5 days during Christmas break, alternating the holiday each year.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad that you settled your matter and avoided a trial. And most certainly glad that you are satisfied with your settlement. That is what counts, that you are happy with settlement and feel that the kids' best interests are upheld.

However, upon reading the outcome, although you have majority time, it really is your ex that will be able to spend most of the quality time with your kids, given that she has the bulk of the weekends and summers. Its great that you have Monday-Fridays, however your kids are in school 10 months for year, so your quality time consists of rushing them off to school in the morning, and the 2 hours between supper and bedtime. Personally, I would have fought for perhaps 2 weekends per month and 4 weeks in summertime. Your time to take kids on vacation, camping, or just hanging out at the house in summertime is quite limited. Just saying....
Old 05-02-2021, 10:09 AM

I hear yeah. We'll see how it goes. It's Sunday at 3 I get her back. And during the week it's about 3.5 hours together each evening. We're supposed to review annually so we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:53 AM

FirstTimer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hear yeah. We'll see how it goes. It's Sunday at 3 I get her back. And during the week it's about 3.5 hours together each evening. We're supposed to review annually so we'll see how it goes.

As someone that has gone through a custody battle, it could be a lot worse in terms of access. She can be the Disney weekend mom and you are in charge of truly advancing your child through life and you sound like the parent to do that for your child. I would rather have that role any day of the weekend. And given the winters etc there will be weekends where she will not be able to make it. I would say this is a major cause for celebration for you and your child. Congrats.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:05 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
I agree. I have a feeling that your agreement will change over time and the limiting factor of residential location of the child will cause the other parent to abandon their role leaving you with absolution sole custody and 99.9% of the time. Many agreements fall apart and parents walk from them. Take all the time offered and give up no time. If the other parent asks you to take the child on their time ALWAYS take the child. But, never rely on the other parent for your time. Ever.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:02 PM

cleanSlate is on a distinguished road

Interesting read. Yes, it could have worked out far worse.
I find the school week is interesting with the kids. They bring their social school problems to you and you can bond with them over homework etc.

Your child is young but all day every day quality time sounds a lot like a hovering parent especially when they get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
But, never rely on the other parent for your time. Ever.
I heard something like this from my ex they flat out stated I will never call you for help with the kids but you can call me. What does this mean and why never rely on the other parent?