This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO - Cost of Living COLA / payments overseas

Hi all - It's almost been a year post divorce and for all of you still fighting it out there, my thoughts are with you... keep in mind that life is sweet in the aftermath ;p

Now for the questions:
    I can't reach FRO (telephone tag...) so I'm hoping to get answers here...
    1. Will the annual cost of living (in the court order) be automatically done by FRO?
    2. Does FRO do direct deposit in overseas bank accounts? (CPP does...)

Thanks,
    T.

I finally got hold of a FRO agent. FRO only pays into Canadian bank accounts. I have an issue with COLA though. The agent seemed to indicate my court order wasn't good enough with the following paragraph: The amount of SS (...) shall be adjusted annually, on the anniversary date of the granting of the Divorce Order, by the percentage change in the CPI for Toronto all items not seasonally adjusted since the same month of the previous year as published by Statistics Canada.

The agent said it wasn't good enough as it did not state clearly the date and the specific percentage... REALLY?????? What's your take? Anyone having COLA added automatically with this type of paragraph?

=========
    FROM FRO ENFORCEMENT ACT
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...sCurrent=false

7. The Family Responsibility Office will not enforce cost of living clauses in support orders unless they are calculated in accordance with the formula set out in subsection 34 (5) of the Family Law Act. (Subsections 7 (4), (5), (6), (7))
    =========
    FROM FAMILY LAW ACT
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90f03_e.htm

Indexing of support payments

(5) In an order made under clause (1) (a), other than an order for the support of a child, the court may provide that the amount payable shall be increased annually on the order’s anniversary date by the indexing factor, as defined in subsection (6), for November of the previous year. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3, s. 34 (5); 1997, c. 20, s. 4 (2).
    Definition
    (6) The indexing factor for a given month is the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for Canada for prices of all items since the same month of the previous year, as published by Statistics Canada. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3, s. 34 (6).
    Last edited by torontonian; 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM. Reason: Added the exact quote from FRO/the Family Law Act

Comment

My husband's order allows for COLA. Each June he gets a letter stating how much the increase is. I have no idea how it's calculated. I believe the most recent one was 2.2%

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
        My husband's order allows for COLA. Each June he gets a letter stating how much the increase is. I have no idea how it's calculated. I believe the most recent one was 2.2%
        Who does he get the letter from?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X