Facebook post grief.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook post grief.

So one sister, who is travelling in California, posts on Facebook a picture of a party barge and says" we should get on of these for the family cottage". She then " tags" everyone in the family and some beach house friends so they will see the post. Funny eh?

Next, ex emails Mom, her sister, demanding to know where she is and where is their child! He knows being tagged in a photo does not mean you are there. Lots of threats and lawyers letter with demands and a reply is sent back via lawyer that she is and has not travelled abroad with or without the child.

Next Police arrive acting on a report from ex that she has left the country and taken the child to California. " we treat accusations of child abduction seriously" was the words from the police. They confirmed that child was well taken care of and in deed sitting in his home with Mom, quite happy and left.

So question? How would you handle this? Will this police report be a problem if she did decide to take child on across border trip ( with consent from Dad of course) she had heRd that these reports stick on your record regardless of being groundless.

This police report will not be a problem with any future travel.

However, I'm confused. How did police get involved? Dad called them because of the facebook post?

I'm guessing mom isn't too happy about police being called?

Comment

That's pretty messed up.

Why does the ex have visibility into Mom's/sister's Facebook?
      Do yourself a favour, and do not have "ex's" on Facebook. If they want to see "pictures of the kid", there are other ways to provide them that "visibility".

Comment

Block him from Facebook. It will prevent him from seeing any posts by mom, or anything she is tagged in. Send the lawyer a letter about harassment and wasting the valuable resources of the police services because of a facebook post made by someone else.

Out of curiosity, were the police shown the facebook post in question and did they feel there was a valid concern to investigate? I would make sure you have a copy of the report for documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
          That's pretty messed up.

Why does the ex have visibility into Mom's/sister's Facebook?
          Do yourself a favour, and do not have "ex's" on Facebook. If they want to see "pictures of the kid", there are other ways to provide them that "visibility".
          I would even go further. If the parent in question acted this way I would recommend that the parent you represent on this forum simply remove themselves from social media totally. The emotional cost of having the police show up on an allegation of 282.(1) is just not worth the effort to maintain social media.

I would save money, time and the emotional turmoil and just get off Facebook. Some of the very high-end lawyers are now requiring their clients to remove their social media sites.

The largest component of evidence in Family Law files today is Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Why provide evidence and not just not use them?

No one needs to use social media. LifeCake is a private and much better way to share photographs with family and true friends.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Well actually she hardly uses her Facebook now for that reason. She has blocked her ex, plus all,his family and she has set her privacy to friends only. We have all done that. She contacted all her friends and asked them to do the same and they assured her theymhad. So,not sure how he manages to get these screen shots. But anytime anyone taggs her name in a post he finds it. Spends a lot of time on the computer. So yes facebook has been dumped for now. Her lawyer does feel,that he is digging himself a hole with these antics. But it is stressful none the less.

The police were at loss what to say, as child was happy,and safe and definitly in his home.

They indicated that they acted on a phone call from the local station where the ex lives.
            Last edited by Beachnana; 06-12-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

-The dad had a concern the child was being abducted because of a facebook post,

-He contacts the mother - she denies (Which she would in case of abduction)

-Did she make any effort to provide any proof that she the child was safe/home (a photo with a smartphone for example?)

Depending on the context I can see this from both sides, my ex could run off with the kids and if I got a whif of it I'd rather be overprotective than under (but she'll never leave for want of child support, lol!)

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
                So one sister, who is travelling in California, posts on Facebook a picture of a party barge and says" we should get on of these for the family cottage". She then " tags" everyone in the family and some beach house friends so they will see the post. Funny eh?

Next, ex emails Mom, her sister, demanding to know where she is and where is their child! He knows being tagged in a photo does not mean you are there. Lots of threats and lawyers letter with demands and a reply is sent back via lawyer that she is and has not travelled abroad with or without the child.

Next Police arrive acting on a report from ex that she has left the country and taken the child to California. " we treat accusations of child abduction seriously" was the words from the police. They confirmed that child was well taken care of and in deed sitting in his home with Mom, quite happy and left.

So question? How would you handle this? Will this police report be a problem if she did decide to take child on across border trip ( with consent from Dad of course) she had heRd that these reports stick on your record regardless of being groundless.

I feel the pain.

Try and laugh it off as an example of crazy.

She shouldn't have to "block" anyone or remove herself from social media in order to alleviate his over reaction to posts made by others.

He needs to get a grip and start asking questions before he slings accusations, especially before involving authorities. Now, doesn't he look like a fool?

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

-Did she make any effort to provide any proof that she the child was safe/home (a photo with a smartphone for example?)

Depending on the context I can see this from both sides, my ex could run off with the kids and if I got a whif of it I'd rather be overprotective than under (but she'll never leave for want of child support, lol!)
                  Her lawyer replied and confirmed that she had not left the country with or without the child. There were several Facebook photos of her with child in her garden. And the picture she was tagged did not include a picture of her. It was a commercial party tied up at a pier. The tag had 8 other names on it. One of which was mine and he knows that these people were not in another country.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
                    Her lawyer replied and confirmed that she had not left the country with or without the child. There were several Facebook photos of her with child in her garden. And the picture she was tagged did not include a picture of her. It was a commercial party tied up at a pier. The tag had 8 other names on it. One of which was mine and he knows that these people were not in another country.
                    Perfect, fodder for court then!

Comment

What has happened has happened.

Be a bigger and proactive person. Write a BIFF email to other parent stating:

Further to the recent events that led to police involvement: please be reminded I will always advise you in advance of any international travel in writing.

And then forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

He had zero tangible proof that the child had been abducted. ZERO.

It would be in his best interest to make a call first and see if mom is home before he calls the police. Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Getting authorities involved because someone (other than the ex wife) posted a facebook picture and tagged her in it is beyond high conflict. It's downright crazy. I'd also be concerned that the ex was spending that much time researching the online activities of my friends.

I have friends travelling the world, tagging me in their photos. I can only imagine how I'd react if cops showed up at my door because the ex noticed that someone in Nepal tagged me in a photo on facebook.

Comment

That was done twice. He was informed that She was not and had not travelled internationally with or without the child.

Also that should she travel she would be following the agreement and sending the trip details for his information and his travel consent.

Over the past 18 months, She has taken a couple of short overnight and day trips over the border and each time has sent the information and consent form for his signature. He made a big deal, of course, and took a week to sign for a 4 hr picnic trip but he did and she went and all was well. So,this is stupid and vexing. But she has just resolved to put,the incident in her file for the day she might need it. The file is getting bigger but then its his hole to dig. Maybe I will buy him a shovel for Christmas!

Oh well life goes on!

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                            He had zero tangible proof that the child had been abducted. ZERO.

It would be in his best interest to make a call first and see if mom is home before he calls the police. Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Getting authorities involved because someone (other than the ex wife) posted a facebook picture and tagged her in it is beyond high conflict. It's downright crazy. I'd also be concerned that the ex was spending that much time researching the online activities of my friends.

I have friends travelling the world, tagging me in their photos. I can only imagine how I'd react if cops showed up at my door because the ex noticed that someone in Nepal tagged me in a photo on facebook.
                            Exactly! We had thought we could have some fun with this and get all my daughters friend, many of whom live in far away places, to tag her. We could play " where in the world is ----". But who,has that kind of time.

The problem with phone calls is everyone has cell phones so,you can answer anywhere! For that matter he has only a cell phone and he put his home up for sale, moved and did not tell her for 3 months.

Its crazy and when you look at the screen shot the next picture to it is her and the child at the local baseball game with the mascot on the same day. Boy she travels fast. Lol

Comment

This will not cause issues with later travel.
                              The police report stays on both of their files. Thanks God my ex did the same, she reported me to the police multiple times. She liked this process so much that she reported others to the police too, as the police for a while works greatly as a free puppet.
                              By now there is a big stamp on her file saying "crazy". This helped me recently a lot. A really lot.
                              So as long as your ex reports you for unfounded crap, don't worry about it, this might serve you well later.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X