• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good divorce lawyer in Durham region

Going to initiate divorce which should go long considering we have
    Kids
    Foreign assets
    Local assets
    Looking for a good divorce lawyer in Durham region who is dependable and will not want to delay matters too much for his own good

Is it OK to consider out of district attorneys for potentially long cases?

Originally posted by Jackdivorce View Post
    I thought about this as well. Although some out-of-town lawyers were more than willing to take my case, they couldn't help but advise me to find someone local. Do you really want to pay a lawyer for travel time at $400/hour? The way that Family Court is set up is that you will pay through the teeth anyway with a local lawyer.

First appearance at counter? You are basically paying your lawyer to sit with you in a waiting room to go speak to the court clerk. You could be waiting possibly for hours to get called up for a 5 minute convo with a clerk. Case, settlement, and trial management conferences? Same deal. You are waiting in the waiting room for your turn. Paying $400/hour while your lawyer plays poker on his phone while waiting.

If you want to go out of town, by all means go ahead. But best advice is to spend wisely as having a lawyer is extremely costly, even with a local lawyer. Some do just as good with a $200/hour lawyer. Some $400/hour lawyers do absolutely nothing, and send you invoices on how they decided to randomly spend 2 hours reading your file while on the bathroom.

You can verify lawyers reputations by google reviews, lawyerratingz.com, and by searching Canlii for cases they have handled. Word of mouth is good too if you ask around.

Comment

Sebastian Duff at Snell, Balka, Scovino is who'd I'd go to if I needed a Durham family lawyer.

Comment

Kids
        Foreign assets
        Local assets
        Looking for a good divorce lawyer in Durham region who is dependable and will not want to delay matters too much for his own good

Lawyers like you have described above do not exist in the nature of things.

Comment

Kids
          Foreign assets
          Local assets

Things don’t go long if you are reasonable. If you are going to fight for more than you are entitled to, to not pay what you owe, to prevent equal access, are vindictive, petty or difficult then it will be a long and difficult and EXPENSIVE process.

Make a list of all the assets and liabilities you have together. Look at both your incomes and earning potentials. Think about how you both want to raise your kids. Then look at what is fair and reasonable. Try mediation first and go from there.

People who say he/she gets nothing, he/she is a bad parent, he/she owes me, he/she is terrible and needs to pay all end up in long drawn out cases that cost more in legal bills than what you are worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
            Lawyers like you have described above do not exist in the nature of things.
            This isn't remotely true. But OP will want to interview a few lawyers, and stay on top of their case.

Comment

I would stay away from Russell Alexander lawyers- they have a good reputation. But I found them terrible.

Comment

Even if you are reasonable, don't fight for more than you are entitled to, it can still drag on. If your ex is going to be a goof and stall things you will be on a long train ride. Pack a snack and be prepared to go broke.

Comment

I used Jason I from Russell Alexander recently and was extremely happy.

Comment

Dewey, Cheatem and How

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X